The Statler Brothers and Tom T. Hall Enshrined In Hall of Fame
- The first song ever recorded by The Statler Brothers was a tune by the name of “The Ballad of Billy Christian,” written by Tom T. Hall. In that regard, it was only fitting that both were inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame at the Ford Theater on Sunday night.
- Last week Rick drew our attention to the recently released album from The Wrights titled In the Summertime, an acoustic covers collection of their favorite folk, blues, country and rock songs that they recorded in their basement. Judging from the soundbites on their website, it’s going to be a doozie. (MySpace)
- Country Weekly’s Chris Neal says Jeremy McCombs debut album, My Side of Town, is one of the year’s most encouraging. (MySpace)
- Randy Lewis has an introduction to the family-band Jypsi. (MySpace)
…a brash young family bluegrass band with a punk-ish edge that’s shaking up the country music status quo. Sisters Lillie Mae, Amber-Dawn and Scarlett Rische and their brother, Frank, create a first impression as Dixie Chicks after a rampage through Hollywood’s thrift stores, their latter-day-hippie brother along for the ride. They both embrace and flaunt country convention with a sound strongly rooted in old-time bluegrass, country, gospel and folk music, something they learned from their staunchly religious parents while nomadically traveling through the South, stopping only long enough to play gigs in RV parks and wherever else they could earn a few dollars.
- Meanwhile, Miranda Lambert introduces her new dog, Hank.
- Joe Diffie plans to record his show at Billy Bob’s on August 8th and release it as a “Live at Billy Bob’s” album in early 2009.
- Country Universe is one spot away from naming the greatest woman in country music, but until that happens, read about CU’s No. 2 woman, Loretta Lynn.
She came from the humblest of beginnings, the daughter of a Kentucky coal miner who married when she was only thirteen years old. Before she turned eighteen, she was a mother of four. But she would emerge from her simple background to become one of the most successful and significant female artists in the history of recorded music, pushing the conventional lyrical boundaries of country music with her sharply written songs.
- In the doom and gloom world of the music industry Taylor Swift is a beacon of hope, illustrating the new benchmark of success, according to Tennessean staff writer Ryan Underwood.
- Here’s a few new tunes that were uploaded to MySpace over the weekend: Ashley Monroe – “Dear Time” (MySpace), Danielle Peck – “Sucks To Be You” (MySpace), and Kacey Musgraves – “His Long Gone (MySpace).
- Former members of Waylon Jennings‘ band have come together again to form a tribute band, Waymore’s Outlaws, with singer-songwriter Tommy Townsend singing lead.
- Taking a cue from Entertainment Weekly’s “22 Rock Heroes You Just Don’t Get” feature, Country Universe opens up the discussion for country legends that you just don’t get, naming Charley Pride as their pick.
- Vanguard Records was concerned that Chely Wright was writing too many “depressing” songs for her upcoming album, Notes to the Coroner, so label executives asked her to record “something positive and hopeful.” Here’s Chely’s reply, “Something Positive and Hopeful:”
- Tom: ...good idea, a george jones museum in nashville. is there a building tall enough for a voice and a career …
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider