The Songwriter Agency Opens in Nashville; Hall of Fame Adds Items to Hank Williams Family Exhibit; Dierks Bentley’s New Video
- The Songwriter Agency opened in Nashville with the specific goal of booking hit songwriters into a variety of mainstream venues. Full roster here.
- The official count for Taylor Swift‘s first week of sales for Speak Now is 1,047,000 copies. Only 16 other albums have sold a million in a week since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking music sales in 1991, and only one country album has sold more than Swift’s in that time period — Garth Brook‘s Double Live.
- Lorrie Morgan married
former Dallas CowboyRandy White back in September.
- Steel guitarist William Wayne “Rusty” Locke, the last surviving original member of the legendary Texas Top Hands, passed away Saturday at the age of 90.
In its heyday, the band performed 25 to 30 evenings a month, starred in the 1948 Western “Echo Ranch,” and backed up Hank Williams 10 days before his death.
- GAC posted streaming commentary from Jason Aldean on each of the songs on his new album, My Kinda Party, followed by audio of the full song.
- 25 Things You Don’t Know About Blake Shelton (via Country Music Is Love)
The Country Music Hall of Fame added a few new items to its exhibition Family Tradition: The Williams Family Legacy, Presented by SunTrust, including:
- Two handwritten notebooks filled with Hank Williams’ writings, including lyrics to many never-recorded songs and notes he made while researching Cajun cuisine for his hit “Jambalaya”
- Williams’ original, handwritten lyrics to his unpublished song “I Thank My God for You,” written on stationery from New York’s King Edward Hotel, where Williams stayed during his 1951 appearance on the Perry Como Show
- Music Fog: Sarah Jarosz – “My Muse”
- The Wittliff Collection at Texas State in San Marcos recently made an assortment of Willie Nelson memorabilia available to the public. The collection includes all of his recordings, which totals 877. (via @DericG)
- Joe Ely previewed his first new LP in four years, Satisfied At Last, with the release of two new songs on iTunes: “Mockingbird Hill” (iTunes) and “You Can Bet I’m Gone” (iTunes). (via Austin Music Source)
- Since Lyric Street shuttered earlier this year, Trent Tomlinson has struggled to find a new label, but he’s not letting that keep him from recording new music.
The result is a new 12-track album that is pure country and pure Trent, as he didn’t have to answer to anyone but himself on the new project. “It’s all of the songs that Lyric Street wouldn’t let me record all those years,” Trent says with laughter. “I’m getting to record them now! I’m real excited about doing that. It’s amazing the response I’m getting from country radio with this stuff. They’ve said it sounds like I’m happy, and I truly am. I’m ecstatic about what I’m doing.”
- Kelly Dearmore thinks you should download the new James Hyland and the Joint Chiefs album, Celestial Navigation, which conveniently costs whatever you want to spend.
- Tim McGraw‘s new single “Felt Good On My Lips” was released to iTunes today. Also, be sure to check Stephen’s review here on The 9513.
- Grimey’s sells new and used music in Nashville, but general manager Doyle Davis says the only people buying new mainstream country music releases are tourists and suckers. But that’s not really a statement about the Nashville public’s perception on the quality of the music.
“We’re an industry town,” Davis says, “for the country music industry.” And there are enough promotional copies of a new album by a would-be star, he continues, that stores like his can sell used copies the week the album comes out.
- Whitey Morgan joined Taproot Radio for a brand new podcast.
- Country California Fake News: One Guy Just Pretending to Be in Zac Brown Band
Here’s Dierks Bentley‘s new video for “Draw Me A Map.”
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."