The Songwriter Agency Opens in Nashville; Hall of Fame Adds Items to Hank Williams Family Exhibit; Dierks Bentley’s New Video
- The Songwriter Agency opened in Nashville with the specific goal of booking hit songwriters into a variety of mainstream venues. Full roster here.
- The official count for Taylor Swift‘s first week of sales for Speak Now is 1,047,000 copies. Only 16 other albums have sold a million in a week since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking music sales in 1991, and only one country album has sold more than Swift’s in that time period — Garth Brook‘s Double Live.
- Lorrie Morgan married
former Dallas CowboyRandy White back in September.
- Steel guitarist William Wayne “Rusty” Locke, the last surviving original member of the legendary Texas Top Hands, passed away Saturday at the age of 90.
In its heyday, the band performed 25 to 30 evenings a month, starred in the 1948 Western “Echo Ranch,” and backed up Hank Williams 10 days before his death.
- GAC posted streaming commentary from Jason Aldean on each of the songs on his new album, My Kinda Party, followed by audio of the full song.
- 25 Things You Don’t Know About Blake Shelton (via Country Music Is Love)
The Country Music Hall of Fame added a few new items to its exhibition Family Tradition: The Williams Family Legacy, Presented by SunTrust, including:
- Two handwritten notebooks filled with Hank Williams’ writings, including lyrics to many never-recorded songs and notes he made while researching Cajun cuisine for his hit “Jambalaya”
- Williams’ original, handwritten lyrics to his unpublished song “I Thank My God for You,” written on stationery from New York’s King Edward Hotel, where Williams stayed during his 1951 appearance on the Perry Como Show
- Music Fog: Sarah Jarosz – “My Muse”
- The Wittliff Collection at Texas State in San Marcos recently made an assortment of Willie Nelson memorabilia available to the public. The collection includes all of his recordings, which totals 877. (via @DericG)
- Joe Ely previewed his first new LP in four years, Satisfied At Last, with the release of two new songs on iTunes: “Mockingbird Hill” (iTunes) and “You Can Bet I’m Gone” (iTunes). (via Austin Music Source)
- Since Lyric Street shuttered earlier this year, Trent Tomlinson has struggled to find a new label, but he’s not letting that keep him from recording new music.
The result is a new 12-track album that is pure country and pure Trent, as he didn’t have to answer to anyone but himself on the new project. “It’s all of the songs that Lyric Street wouldn’t let me record all those years,” Trent says with laughter. “I’m getting to record them now! I’m real excited about doing that. It’s amazing the response I’m getting from country radio with this stuff. They’ve said it sounds like I’m happy, and I truly am. I’m ecstatic about what I’m doing.”
- Kelly Dearmore thinks you should download the new James Hyland and the Joint Chiefs album, Celestial Navigation, which conveniently costs whatever you want to spend.
- Tim McGraw‘s new single “Felt Good On My Lips” was released to iTunes today. Also, be sure to check Stephen’s review here on The 9513.
- Grimey’s sells new and used music in Nashville, but general manager Doyle Davis says the only people buying new mainstream country music releases are tourists and suckers. But that’s not really a statement about the Nashville public’s perception on the quality of the music.
“We’re an industry town,” Davis says, “for the country music industry.” And there are enough promotional copies of a new album by a would-be star, he continues, that stores like his can sell used copies the week the album comes out.
- Whitey Morgan joined Taproot Radio for a brand new podcast.
- Country California Fake News: One Guy Just Pretending to Be in Zac Brown Band
Here’s Dierks Bentley‘s new video for “Draw Me A Map.”
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider
- luckyoldsun: If I was a "long-time fan" of Trisha, I'd probably spring for the CD.