The People Choose Underwood and Flatts At People’s Choice Awards
- Carrie Underwood scored wins in the “Favorite Female Singer” and “Favorite Country Song” (for the song “Last Name”) categories at the People’s Choice Awards last night, and Rascal Flatts took home the trophy for “Favorite Group.”
- Asleep at the Wheel published the track list and personnel credits for their upcoming album with Willie Nelson, Willie and the Wheel, which will be released on February 3rd.
- The praise for The Gourds‘ Haymaker! continues to trickle in.
- Kevin Russell, one of the main writers and vocalist for The Gourds, commented on the Americana scene in the band’s interview with Houston Press‘ William Michael Smith:
“We never liked that scene,” Russell says. “From the moment I saw the first issue of No Depression, I was suspect of that shit. For all of the ‘alternative’ lip service, it’s usually just low-budget versions of the same crap the majors are churning out. Few in the scene are really doing anything with much energy or inspiration. I generally hate it.”
- Remember Tupperware parties? Yea, me neither. But I’ve heard about them, and Tara Leigh Music Party seems to be applying the same concept to music.
- Dolly Parton is among the new inductees for the GMA Gospel Music Hall of Fame.
- Vince Gill persuaded former American Idol contestant Jordin Sparks to accompany him to a Timer Jumpers‘ show where she sat in with the band on Patsy Cline‘s “Crazy.” (a nod goes to Rick for the tip)
- Head over to the MusicFest Live blog to watch videos of Wade Bowen, Jason Eady, Doug Moreland and more at MusicFest in Steamboat, Colorado.
- Your take: Is there a resemblance between Eddy Arnold (right) and Christopher Tanner (left), the man who claims Arnold fathered him through an affair.
- A big thanks goes out to The Gobblers Knob, Country California, Twang Nation and ggcolumn for their support in the 2008 Weblog Awards. Your friendly reminder: voting is open until next Tuesday.
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.
- Janice Brooks: Peter Cooper needs an edit. Stringbean did not die in 1964.
- Leeann: I can't contribute to this list, but I did think of Steve Earle and The Wire. It's not my …
- Jeremy Dylan: That was a great episode of Monk. The "Georgia On My Mind" scene is just heartbreaking.