The People Choose Underwood and Flatts At People’s Choice Awards
- Carrie Underwood scored wins in the “Favorite Female Singer” and “Favorite Country Song” (for the song “Last Name”) categories at the People’s Choice Awards last night, and Rascal Flatts took home the trophy for “Favorite Group.”
- Asleep at the Wheel published the track list and personnel credits for their upcoming album with Willie Nelson, Willie and the Wheel, which will be released on February 3rd.
- The praise for The Gourds‘ Haymaker! continues to trickle in.
- Kevin Russell, one of the main writers and vocalist for The Gourds, commented on the Americana scene in the band’s interview with Houston Press‘ William Michael Smith:
“We never liked that scene,” Russell says. “From the moment I saw the first issue of No Depression, I was suspect of that shit. For all of the ‘alternative’ lip service, it’s usually just low-budget versions of the same crap the majors are churning out. Few in the scene are really doing anything with much energy or inspiration. I generally hate it.”
- Remember Tupperware parties? Yea, me neither. But I’ve heard about them, and Tara Leigh Music Party seems to be applying the same concept to music.
- Dolly Parton is among the new inductees for the GMA Gospel Music Hall of Fame.
- Vince Gill persuaded former American Idol contestant Jordin Sparks to accompany him to a Timer Jumpers‘ show where she sat in with the band on Patsy Cline‘s “Crazy.” (a nod goes to Rick for the tip)
- Head over to the MusicFest Live blog to watch videos of Wade Bowen, Jason Eady, Doug Moreland and more at MusicFest in Steamboat, Colorado.
- Your take: Is there a resemblance between Eddy Arnold (right) and Christopher Tanner (left), the man who claims Arnold fathered him through an affair.
- A big thanks goes out to The Gobblers Knob, Country California, Twang Nation and ggcolumn for their support in the 2008 Weblog Awards. Your friendly reminder: voting is open until next Tuesday.
- Paul W Dennis: This album is next on my must-acquire list. I remember listening to Mac on the WWVA Big Jamboree in the …
- Paul W Dennis: I don't usually agree with Luckyoldsun but he's right - "Girl In A Country Song" reeks. On the other …
- andythedrifter: "It Sure Can Get Cold In Des Moines"
- Donald: LOS, I need to second your mention of Ballad of Forty Dollars.
- Paul W Dennis: Best wishes for Jim Ed Brown - there's very few left from his generation of country singers John Morthland's article on …
- Paul W Dennis: That looks like Harold Morrison playing the dobro behind Jeannie C Riley on "Harper Valley PTA"
- luckyoldsun: Got to go with "The Ballad of Forty Dollars." Funny, if you saw the title and started listening to that song …
- Randy Prewitt: I would have to say my favorite Tom T.Hall song is "The Day Clayton Delaney Died.He has so many great …
- KathyP: "Faster Horses." Which reminds me I need to add it to my digital library.
- Leeann Ward: "Me and Jesus" and "Harper Valley PTA" are my favorites, I think. But I agree with Paul that it's not …