The Paisley’s Name Second Son Jasper Warren Paisley
- The Paisley’s named their second son Jasper Warren Paisley.
- The house belonging to Jimmy Dean and his wife caught fire last night, injuring three firefighters. Fortunately, the country singer and his wife were able to escape without harm.
- The New York Times‘ songwriting blog, Measure for Measure, is temporarily closing down and as an encore, they asked the various contributors to consider their experience writing about the songwriting process, and whether it had any effect on their actual songwriting. Here is Rosanne Cash‘s response, titled “Longing.”
New releases for the week of April 21, 2009 include:
Let me know if these lists of new releases interest you or not, and if so, would you rather they be broken out into a separate post?
- Watch Jamey Johnson perform “In Color” and “High Cost of Living” in the studio for iHeartMusic.com’s Stripped series. (via reader email)
- Want to dive into Reba McEntire’s back catalog, but don’t know where to start? Country Universe’s Kevin J. Coyne has you covered with ten songs he considers essential.
- Josh Turner, Marty Stuart, Jack Clement and Curb Records owner Mike Curb were among the inductees who earned a spot on the Music City Walk of Fame on Sunday.
- Ed Crowell gave a brief three-day rundown of Old Settler’s Music Fest.
- The Zac Brown Band and Jamey Johnson both earned official RIAA gold certification for surpassing sales of 500,000 copies of their latest albums.
- Listen to Dierks Bentley perform songs from his newest album on Mountain Stage.
- The CMT Music Video Evaluation Team published videos of Rodney Carrington‘s “If I’m the Only One,” Dierks Bentley‘s “Sideways,” Holly Williams‘ “Keep the Change,” Jesse Lee‘s “It’s a Girl Thing” and Old Crow Medicine Show‘s “Caroline.”
- Farce the Music published a satirical version of Josh Turner‘s bus rules.
- New Jersey radio station WFMU started a new project called the Free Music Archive, which they describe as an interactive library of high-quality, legal audio downloads. They don’t have a whole lot as far as country goes at the moment, but I did notice tracks from Bobby Bare Jr., Justin Townes Earle and Chatham County Line. (via American Songwriter)
- Watch video of Chuck Mead performing “Natchez Trail” from his his Music Fog set at SXSW.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.