The Dixie Bee-Liners Plan Bluegrass Concept Album for Fall
- The Dixie Bee-Liners expect to release their third album in fall of 2009. Brandi Hart says the album, titled Susanville, will be the first of several bluegrass concept albums the band has been planning.
- Peter Cooper talked with Steve Martin about his new banjo album, The Crow: New Songs for the Five-String Banjo:
“Writing lyrics was the one thing I’d been afraid of, my whole life,” he said. “I wrote ‘King Tut,’ but that’s a comedy song and so it was different. Finally, I got clued into something. Pete Wernick told me, ‘When Earl plays backup, he just follows the syllables of the singer.’ I thought, ‘I wonder if you can do that in reverse?’ That gave me the insight to start. I followed the ‘syllables’ of the music, and suddenly I could write lyrics.”
- American Songwriter‘s readers weighed in with their top breakup songs, and out of the top 20, two spots belonged to Johnny Cash and Dwight Yoakam for “Delia’s Gone” and “Intentional Heartache.”
- When discussing his new trucker album with Cindy Watts, Aaron Tippin said you can expect more themed albums from him, including a gospel album, an aviation-themed record, and a big band album:
“I’m a big Dean Martin fan,” Tippin says. “So there’ll be plenty of Dean, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett. I probably ought to hunt down some Harry Connick Jr., and we’re big fans of Michael Buble. It’s not that I feel like I’m going to turn that world upside-down, but it would be a lot of fun!”
- The Americana Music Association announced the line-up for their Live at the Bluebird concert series that’ll run from February 19 to March 26. Stephanie Chapman, Jim Lauderdale, Sam Bush, Nanci Griffith, Mary Gauthier, Elizabeth Cook, Darrell Scott, and Foster & Lloyd are scheduled to perform.
- Ray Benson and Eddie Rivers of Asleep at the Wheel joined Garrison Keillor on A Prarier Home Companion.
- Recommended Listening: My Kind of Country’s Razor X recently discovered the debut album, Still Your Fool, by The Dixons and gave it an A+.
- Twang Nation posted a short introduction to Larry Jon Wilson, a man who Kristofferson said “can break your heart with a voice like a cannon ball.”
- And while you’re at Twang Nation, you can get your Neko Case fix with links to an extensive New York Times interview and a feature at Paste Magazine.
- Joey Martin and Rory Feek talked to the Tennessean about the early death of “Cheater, Cheater” and the growth of their album every week, while a Sugar Hill Records executive explains the reason for their success.
- The newest single to find itself in the sights of Farce the Music’s .99 review is Jessica Harp‘s “Boy Like Me.”
- Rich Kienzle briefly covered parts of Eddy Arnold‘s career over at No Depression.
- The man masquerading as Kenny Rogers plans on recording a duet with Dolly Parton on his next project. And, apparently, after 50 years in the music business, he’ll be able to record the songs he wants.
- Roughstock’s Matt Bjorke ponders: Good “I’m Proud I’m From The Country” Songs Where Art Thou? Et tu, Bruté?
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.