The Best Video of All Time, Courtesy of Willie Nelson
- Ken Tucker says George Strait‘s true precursors are gentleman crooners Jim Reeves and Eddy Arnold, but he goes on to note that even those comparisons don’t quite fit: “Strait is his own man, ornery and independent in a quiet but firm way. Neither Reeves nor Arnold, for example, ever recorded a song about killing a killer as genial as ‘Arkansas Dave.'”
- In the previous article Tucker says “Out of Sight, Out of Mind” is the best track on Twang, but in his latest column, Chet Flippo puts his chips on “El Rey.”
- Listen to Brennen Leigh perform “Set ‘Em On Fire” from last night’s Mean Eyed Cat Songwriter Night.
- Next Tuesday, The Wailin’ Jennys will release their new album Live at the Mauch Chunk Opera House. It’s the first to include Heather Masse in the Jennys line-up and it also includes eight previously unreleased tracks. Listen to four of the tracks on the group’s MySpace.
- Brandon Rhyder on his new Walt Wilkins-produced album, which he plans to release early next year:
“I had this dream of not using studio musicians but my own band, of putting this record together with songs that wouldn’t have been hits in the national arena but hits where we’re at — playing in shows where fans appreciate what we’re doing,” Rhyder said.
- New video: Jake Owen – “Eight Second Ride”
- For you Randy Rogers Band fans, a Galleywinter member posted videos of a couple of new songs — “Interstate” and “Fort Worth Was a Fabulous Waste of Time” — from the group’s show at Nutty Brown last week, where they drew a record-setting crowd.
- Despite the success of Rattlin’ Bones, Kasey Chambers told The Washington Post‘s Moira E. McLaughlin that she and husband Shane Nicholson have no intention of writing together again soon: “‘We always said we want to take time off of the duo thing. We want to get to the point where we miss that,’ Chambers said.”
- Kevin J. Coyne listed 10 essential Pam Tillis songs and two hidden treasures at Country Universe.
Johnny Knoxville submits the new Willie Nelson video for “Shoeshine Man” as his entry for best video of all time. I initially thought the producer had spent entirely too much time on Willie’s bus, but everything made sense when the credits rolled. Funny stuff. (via Still Is Still Moving)
- Jeff Miller: Yeah, the first time I played Jimmie Rodgers for my wife & daughter- they were aghast that he was singing …
- David Cantwell: I think it more helpful to think of Americana not as a genre but as a format--and, perhaps better, and …
- Juli Thanki: That would definitely be better than Marvel's hilariously terrible Billy Ray Cyrus comic book, released in 1995. http://4thletter.net/2009/02/billy-ray-cyrus-the-marvel-comic-book-yes-really/
- Applejack: "I’m sure there are many ways to lasso in and constrict any genre or format, any of them, so tightly …
- Emily: Wow!! Fabulous! Love those boots and you all look stunning! xo
- Leeann Ward: Bangor is named somewhat commonly in country songs. It's usually their example of the most north you can go: Vince …
- bob: Portland West was almost Boston West. From Names on the Land by George Stewart: "When more people arrived in Oregon, Amos …
- Jack Williams: There's "Eight More Miles To Louisville", where Portland is referred to as Portland East.
- nm: Of course, Bangor is also mentioned in "I've Been Everywhere."
- Stuart Munro: As if that's what this discussion is doing, Barry. I'm for the online commenters thinking about and discussing the music …