The Best Video of All Time, Courtesy of Willie Nelson
- Ken Tucker says George Strait‘s true precursors are gentleman crooners Jim Reeves and Eddy Arnold, but he goes on to note that even those comparisons don’t quite fit: “Strait is his own man, ornery and independent in a quiet but firm way. Neither Reeves nor Arnold, for example, ever recorded a song about killing a killer as genial as ‘Arkansas Dave.'”
- In the previous article Tucker says “Out of Sight, Out of Mind” is the best track on Twang, but in his latest column, Chet Flippo puts his chips on “El Rey.”
- Listen to Brennen Leigh perform “Set ‘Em On Fire” from last night’s Mean Eyed Cat Songwriter Night.
- Next Tuesday, The Wailin’ Jennys will release their new album Live at the Mauch Chunk Opera House. It’s the first to include Heather Masse in the Jennys line-up and it also includes eight previously unreleased tracks. Listen to four of the tracks on the group’s MySpace.
- Brandon Rhyder on his new Walt Wilkins-produced album, which he plans to release early next year:
“I had this dream of not using studio musicians but my own band, of putting this record together with songs that wouldn’t have been hits in the national arena but hits where we’re at — playing in shows where fans appreciate what we’re doing,” Rhyder said.
- New video: Jake Owen – “Eight Second Ride”
- For you Randy Rogers Band fans, a Galleywinter member posted videos of a couple of new songs — “Interstate” and “Fort Worth Was a Fabulous Waste of Time” — from the group’s show at Nutty Brown last week, where they drew a record-setting crowd.
- Despite the success of Rattlin’ Bones, Kasey Chambers told The Washington Post‘s Moira E. McLaughlin that she and husband Shane Nicholson have no intention of writing together again soon: “‘We always said we want to take time off of the duo thing. We want to get to the point where we miss that,’ Chambers said.”
- Kevin J. Coyne listed 10 essential Pam Tillis songs and two hidden treasures at Country Universe.
Johnny Knoxville submits the new Willie Nelson video for “Shoeshine Man” as his entry for best video of all time. I initially thought the producer had spent entirely too much time on Willie’s bus, but everything made sense when the credits rolled. Funny stuff. (via Still Is Still Moving)
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.