The Academy of Country Music Announces Special, Industry and MBI Awards Winners
- Dolly Parton, Merle Haggard and Harland Howard were among the winners of Special Awards announced by the Academy of Country Music on Tuesday. They won’t be televised with the regular ACM Awards ceremony that takes place on April 5th, but will have their own event in the fall. Winners were also announced for the Industry and MBI (musician, band, instrumental) Awards.
- Doyle Lawson will release his 34th album, Lonely Street, on May 5. BluegrassJournal.com has the track list and tour dates.
- In an interview with Pitchfork’s Stephen M. Deusner, Neko Case revealed that the last Track on Middle Cyclone is actually four minutes of frogs looped.
Darryl and I were sitting around in the studio, and we were almost finished with the record. We decided to see how long it was, and I said, how much time is left over on an audio CD? He told me, and I told him that we should do something with it, that we shouldn’t waste it. So we decided to put some soothing frogs on there.
- This week’s edition of “Country Quizzin'” is all about songs that employ personification. Answers and final March rankings will be revealed later tonight.
- Martina McBride talked about relating to the characters in her songs, performing in a family band as a teenager and, of course, her new album in an interview with Craig Shelburne.
- In the newest episode of “On The Road With Jamey Johnson,” Johnson’s bodyguard Sherrif talks about his relationship with the singer and his rise in popularity.
- My Kind of Country’s Occasional Hope reviewed the new album from Dallas Wayne, I’ll Take the Fifth, and named it her favorite album of 2009 so far.
- Country Universe’s Lynn Douglas asks: “Do you believe that a country group needs a lead singer in order for the band to reach that next level?”
- A CalTech grad student named Virgil Griffith conducted an unscientific study to determine if there’s any correlation between musical preference and SAT scores. According to her graph, students with the highest scores listen to Beethoven, while those with the lowest listen to Lil’ Wayne. Most of the students who listened to country fell in the average range. (via NashvilleGab)
- For the third part of his “Nashville Or Bust” series, A.V. Club’s Nathan Rabin ended his exploration of Johnny Cash with his religion, prison recordings and television show. For the fourth part in the weekly series, Rabin moved on to his next subject, Willie Nelson, and his first three concept albums: Yesterday’s Wine, Phases and Stages and Red Headed Stranger.
- Pam Wallace: A day like yesterday,...driving through Ohio countryside with leaves beginning to turn and cows lying in the pastures because every …
- Jackie Lester: My favorite part of autumn is seeing wooly bear caterpillars!
- Mike harris: Love fall with the warm glow of the sun and all the beautiful fall colors
- Richrd Simerson: Love good old bluegrass music
- Six String Richie: Studio A will be replaced with a dog park, condos and restaurants. Gentrification at it's finest.
- Denise Vernon: Full moon with smell of leaves burning.
- Lisa Phillips: Love the Radio Ramblers! My favorite thing about fall is everything pumpkin.....coffee, cookies, muffins, pie.....etc!
- Sabrina Parnell: Def the cooler temps, football, great food , holidays on the way ,and of course more good country music releases.
- Debbie W: the changing colors of the leaves
- joyce King: I love FALL, the day your album Sept.25th is our wedding anniversary 46th!!! We have a fall Bean Supper, …