Taylor Swift Wins Trademark Case; Kenny Chesney Debuts at No. 1; Guy Clark Tribute in the Works
- By default judgement, Taylor Swift won a trademark case last week against 16 of 24 individuals who were selling counterfeit merchandise during her tour. The original case was filed in May of 2009.
- Nashville Scene’s 2010 Best of Nashville lists are out. The writer’s picks from the music section include Elizabeth Cook, Chely Wright, Jamey Johnson, Miranda Lambert, Dailey & Vincent, and more.
BEST COUNTRY SINGER-SONGWRITER: ELIZABETH COOK
In this town, aborted major-label deals are more common than seasonal colds. But rare is the turned-out artist who comes into her own like Cook has. There are songs on Welder, her latest, that couldn’t be more high-quality, down-to-earth country. And right alongside them is some knowing, fantastically detailed straight-talk on subjects such as shady hookups, sober sex and dating bar musicians. She gives them a sly delivery with her stone-cold country soprano. It’s all her, and it’s all good. JEWLY HIGHT
- Kenny Chesney sold enough copies (183,000) of Hemingway’s Whiskey in its first week to earn his sixth No. 1 on the Billboard 200 (and tenth on the country album chart), which puts him in second place among country acts with the most No. 1s: Garth Brooks has eight.
- On the topic of “Hemingway’s Whiskey,” Kris Kristofferson will record a version of the song for an upcoming Guy Clark tribute album. Austin Music Source notes that Ryan Bingham, Rodney Crowell, Jack Ingram, The Trishas, Terry Allen, Hayes Carll, Joe Ely, and Robert Earl Keen are all slated to make appearances as well. The album is scheduled for a Nov. 2011 release to coincide with Clark’s 70th birthday.
- The most “gangster” country lyrics of all time. (via Country Music Is Love)
- In case you missed the announcement (we did), Saving Country Music reports that Roger Alan Wade released a new album, titled Deguello Motel, on Sept. 27.
- CMT’s Chris Parton wrote an in-depth recap of Tuesday’s All for the Hall benefit concert.
- Johnny Cash‘s “Folsom Prison Blues” and Townes Van Zandt‘s “White Freightliner Blues” made Paste’s list of 10 live recordings that trump their studio counterparts. Do you know of any others?
- Trace Adkins is returning to the Middle East for his third USO tour.
- Listen to a new song from bluegrass band Hot Rize titled “Diamond Joe” and a cover of Jimmy Webb‘s “Wichita Lineman.” (via The Bluegrass Blog)
- The Country Music Association is donating a record $2.9 million to Nashville-area flood relief and music education programs. In other charitable news, the Academy of Country Music gave another $190,000 to various causes through its ACM Lifting Lives program.
- BMI honored Bobby Braddock on Tuesday with numerous Million Air certificates. He’s had nine songs played on the radio more than a million times, and two that have been played more than three million.
- Sugarland is providing a new download each week leading up to its release of The Incredible Machine on Oct. 19. The first two songs, “The Incredible Machine” (iTunes) and “Wide Open” (iTunes), are already available.
- Watch the theatrical trailer for True Grit. If you need an excuse for its inclusion here, it features Johnny Cash‘s “God’s Gonna Cut You Down,” plus Jeff Bridges is Bad Blake.
- Lady Antebellum celebrated the success of “Our Kind of Love” at the song’s No. 1 party in Nashville last night, and was surprised with a triple-platinum album for Need You Now.
- Merle Haggard‘s latest album, I Am What I Am, is $2.99 on Amazon. (via @TwangNation)
Here’s Jamey Johnson performing an empathetic version of “Can’t Cash My Checks,” one of the standout tracks from The Guitar Song, at last weekend’s Farm Aid concert. Visit the Farm Aid YouTube channel for more videos like this.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …