Taylor Swift Times Ten Million; Johnny Cash’s ‘Strawberry Cake’; The Wildes’ Murder Ballad
- Taylor Swift passed the 10 million mark for albums sold.
- Juli Thanki on James Hand‘s new album Shadow On the Ground:
Equal parts wry humor, frank honesty and gut-wrenching heartbreak, “Shadow on the Ground” is a reminder of how good country music can be, especially when it’s sung by a man who “always drinks, seldom thinks and never gives a damn.”
- In an effort to make a killer 2009 playlist, C.M. Wilcox wants you to name one excellent track from an album released this year.
- A Truer Sound posted files from Strawberry Cake, a rare Johnny Cash live album from 1976. It may not be better than his prison albums, but ATS argues that it is more interesting and highlights Cash at the top of his game as a performer.
- Guy Clark on songwriting:
“I try to write so the listener gets involved; ‘Yeah, that happened to me. I know exactly how that feels.’ Sometimes, you accommodate them with room to get inside it, leave holes to allow for it. That truth… they pick up on it.”
Country Standard Time has Clark’s tour itinerary for the next few months.
- Listen to three of the songs from Corb Lund‘s forthcoming album Losin’ Lately Gambler on MySpace. Look for “This Is My Prairie,” “A Game In Town Like This,” and “Talkin’ Veterinarian Blues.”
- Kellie Pickler on her next album:
“The more records you do, the more say you get. I’m really wanting the next album to be more country. I love Loretta Lynn. Dolly (Parton’s) my favorite. I love that style.”
- If you like a good murder ballad, No Depression member Wayne Williams recommends the title track from the Australian band The Wildes‘ new album, Ballad of a Young Married Man. In fact, he recommends the whole dang album. (MySpace)
- Twang Nation has mighty high praise for Chris Knight‘s Trailer Tapes II.
- Jamey Johnson treated the audience at the Daniel Boone Pioneer Festival this past weekend to a performance of “Near the Cross,” a song he sang at church as a kid.
- Willie And The Wheel is on sale at Amazon for $5 throughout the month of September.
- Loretta Lynn is famous for her classic singles with duet partner Conway Twitty, but it’s three albums worth of material she sang with Ernest Tubb that Juli Thanki says she prefers.
- Leeann: Very nice!
- luckyoldsun: Paul, Good info. It's pretty disgraceful that Billboard editors can't even get musical history remotely right regarding even their own publication. The …
- Juli Thanki: Yep, I'll be there. Looking forward to it!
- Leeann: Wow! The Look Again to the Wind: Johnny Cash’s Bitter Tears Revisited album is so good!
- Jack Williams: I was also there on Saturday, Juli. I really liked Angeleena Presley's set, too. Marty and the boys …
- Jack Williams: I heard the guy who made the documentary talks funny. That's great news. I'll definitely buy a copy …
- Dave D.: Jim Lauderdale's The Other Sessions is my favorite; just a great country records, IMO.
- Paul W Dernnis: It seems that whoever wrote that Billboard article had some bum information. As of 1993, 13 country artists had 50 …
- Leeann: My favorite Jim Lauderdale albums are his collaborations with Ralph Stanley.
- Jeremy Dylan: Correcting my typo, that should be http://jimlauderdalemovie.com