Taylor Swift Interrupted; Canadian Country Awards; James Hand In Studio 1A
- If you haven’t heard, Taylor Swift won female video of the year at last night’s MTV Video Music Awards. It wouldn’t have been a big deal, but unfortunately, Kanye West felt the win was undeserved, so he took Swift’s mike mid-speech and let the whole audience know about it.
- The 20th Annual International Bluegrass Music Awards show announced a list of artists scheduled to perform during the Oct. 1 program.
- Download the latest Americana Roots Roundtable podcast, which also serves as the debut podcast for NoDepression.com and features music from Doop & The Inside Outlaws, The Band of Heathens and Guy Clark.
Winners of the 2009 Canadian Country Music Association Awards are as follows:
- Single of the Year: “Brothers” ~ Dean Brody
- Album of the Year: Dance With Me ~ Johnny Reid
- Songwriter(s) of the Year: Johnny Reid/Brent Maher for “A Woman Like You”
- CMT Video of the Year: “A Woman Like You” ~ Johnny Reid
- Female Artist of the Year: Crystal Shawanda
- Male Artist of the Year: Johnny Reid
- Group or Duo of the Year: Doc Walker
- Roots Artist or Group of the Year: Corb Lund
- Rising Star: Tara Oram
- Fans’ Choice Award: Johnny Reid
- The Del McCoury Band‘s recording of “1952 Vincent Black Lightning” inspired attorney and business law professor A.J. Sciarrino to adapt the song’s story into a full-length novel, which is scheduled for an early October release.
- Country California served up two editions of Quotable Country this week: Edition I, Edition II. (Did you know Alan Jackson is a Steve Earl fan? It’s true.)
- Alt-512 Music Musings has a live cover of “Strawberry Roan” from Corb Lund.
- In light of the recent release of The Beatles: Remastered, Country Universe’s Kevin J. Coyne listed a few of country music’s covers of The Beatles.
- Watch Larry Gatlin and The Gatlin Brothers perform “All The Gold In California” on Second Cup Café.
- Country Haiku:
You should start a band
Learn “Free Bird” and “Ramblin’ Man”
No country songs, though
- CMT Blog has new videos for Alecia Nugent‘s “Don’t Tell Me,” Heartland‘s “Mustache,” and Anthony Smith‘s “Bringin’ Back the Sunshine.”
- Big Kenny talks about his new solo album and record label in an interview with The Boot.
- Listen to an interview and acoustic performances from James Hand in Studio 1a.
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...
- Jim Z: Dirty River Boys are from El Paso, Texas.