Taylor Swift Interrupted; Canadian Country Awards; James Hand In Studio 1A
- If you haven’t heard, Taylor Swift won female video of the year at last night’s MTV Video Music Awards. It wouldn’t have been a big deal, but unfortunately, Kanye West felt the win was undeserved, so he took Swift’s mike mid-speech and let the whole audience know about it.
- The 20th Annual International Bluegrass Music Awards show announced a list of artists scheduled to perform during the Oct. 1 program.
- Download the latest Americana Roots Roundtable podcast, which also serves as the debut podcast for NoDepression.com and features music from Doop & The Inside Outlaws, The Band of Heathens and Guy Clark.
Winners of the 2009 Canadian Country Music Association Awards are as follows:
- Single of the Year: “Brothers” ~ Dean Brody
- Album of the Year: Dance With Me ~ Johnny Reid
- Songwriter(s) of the Year: Johnny Reid/Brent Maher for “A Woman Like You”
- CMT Video of the Year: “A Woman Like You” ~ Johnny Reid
- Female Artist of the Year: Crystal Shawanda
- Male Artist of the Year: Johnny Reid
- Group or Duo of the Year: Doc Walker
- Roots Artist or Group of the Year: Corb Lund
- Rising Star: Tara Oram
- Fans’ Choice Award: Johnny Reid
- The Del McCoury Band‘s recording of “1952 Vincent Black Lightning” inspired attorney and business law professor A.J. Sciarrino to adapt the song’s story into a full-length novel, which is scheduled for an early October release.
- Country California served up two editions of Quotable Country this week: Edition I, Edition II. (Did you know Alan Jackson is a Steve Earl fan? It’s true.)
- Alt-512 Music Musings has a live cover of “Strawberry Roan” from Corb Lund.
- In light of the recent release of The Beatles: Remastered, Country Universe’s Kevin J. Coyne listed a few of country music’s covers of The Beatles.
- Watch Larry Gatlin and The Gatlin Brothers perform “All The Gold In California” on Second Cup Café.
- Country Haiku:
You should start a band
Learn “Free Bird” and “Ramblin’ Man”
No country songs, though
- CMT Blog has new videos for Alecia Nugent‘s “Don’t Tell Me,” Heartland‘s “Mustache,” and Anthony Smith‘s “Bringin’ Back the Sunshine.”
- Big Kenny talks about his new solo album and record label in an interview with The Boot.
- Listen to an interview and acoustic performances from James Hand in Studio 1a.
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.
- Six String Richie: It's great to hear that Sundy Best has a new album coming out. I really encourage anybody that reads …
- Louie: "Brotherly Love," IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith's …
- Erik North: A big loss for not only the Nashville songwriting community, but for songwriting communities everywhere, in my opinion, that Paul …