Taylor Swift Interrupted; Canadian Country Awards; James Hand In Studio 1A
- If you haven’t heard, Taylor Swift won female video of the year at last night’s MTV Video Music Awards. It wouldn’t have been a big deal, but unfortunately, Kanye West felt the win was undeserved, so he took Swift’s mike mid-speech and let the whole audience know about it.
- The 20th Annual International Bluegrass Music Awards show announced a list of artists scheduled to perform during the Oct. 1 program.
- Download the latest Americana Roots Roundtable podcast, which also serves as the debut podcast for NoDepression.com and features music from Doop & The Inside Outlaws, The Band of Heathens and Guy Clark.
Winners of the 2009 Canadian Country Music Association Awards are as follows:
- Single of the Year: “Brothers” ~ Dean Brody
- Album of the Year: Dance With Me ~ Johnny Reid
- Songwriter(s) of the Year: Johnny Reid/Brent Maher for “A Woman Like You”
- CMT Video of the Year: “A Woman Like You” ~ Johnny Reid
- Female Artist of the Year: Crystal Shawanda
- Male Artist of the Year: Johnny Reid
- Group or Duo of the Year: Doc Walker
- Roots Artist or Group of the Year: Corb Lund
- Rising Star: Tara Oram
- Fans’ Choice Award: Johnny Reid
- The Del McCoury Band‘s recording of “1952 Vincent Black Lightning” inspired attorney and business law professor A.J. Sciarrino to adapt the song’s story into a full-length novel, which is scheduled for an early October release.
- Country California served up two editions of Quotable Country this week: Edition I, Edition II. (Did you know Alan Jackson is a Steve Earl fan? It’s true.)
- Alt-512 Music Musings has a live cover of “Strawberry Roan” from Corb Lund.
- In light of the recent release of The Beatles: Remastered, Country Universe’s Kevin J. Coyne listed a few of country music’s covers of The Beatles.
- Watch Larry Gatlin and The Gatlin Brothers perform “All The Gold In California” on Second Cup Café.
- Country Haiku:
You should start a band
Learn “Free Bird” and “Ramblin’ Man”
No country songs, though
- CMT Blog has new videos for Alecia Nugent‘s “Don’t Tell Me,” Heartland‘s “Mustache,” and Anthony Smith‘s “Bringin’ Back the Sunshine.”
- Big Kenny talks about his new solo album and record label in an interview with The Boot.
- Listen to an interview and acoustic performances from James Hand in Studio 1a.
- bob: Enjoyed the articles on the story behind "When She Cries" and the dearth of women on Canadian Country radio. Thanks. …
- Saving Country Music: Everything that came out in Friday's assessment of Studio 'A' by the developer was stuff we already knew. The only …
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …