Taylor Swift Hosts ‘SNL'; Dolly Parton & Jessica Simpson Have Big Breasts; Kristofferson Receives Inaugural Stephen Bruton Award
- Watch the promo for this week’s Saturday Night Live, hosted by Taylor Swift.
- Country California’s C.M. Wilcox reviewed the new album from Derek Hoke, Goodbye Rock N Roll, and maintained that Hoke has released one of the finest country debuts of 2009. (MySpace)
His gentle, unpretentious brand of throwback country often seems just a hiccup away from the early rock of Buddy Holly. Fans of The Wrights and The Little Willies should take particular note.
- Jessica Simpson and Dolly Parton have double-D breasts. Thanks, CNN.
- The iTunes single of the week, which is available for “free dollars,” is Steel Magnolia‘s “Keep On Lovin’ You.” (iTunes)
- Stream the Ryan Adams-penned song from Norah Jones‘ forthcoming album The Fall. The Dallas Observer’s Pete Freedman describes the song as having a “decidedly Americana feel–like a less twangy but just-as-sultry Lucinda Williams.”
- Carrie Underwood on women in country music:
I definitely do see more women in country music and more women doing well, and I think it will be a while before we really get what’s coming to us. … I’m not complaining at all because I’d rather work as hard as I can and see a difference than have things handed to me, but it does seem sometimes like women have to work a lot harder to kind of keep up with the boys. And I definitely see the tides changing.
- Amazon’s Best Country Albums of 2009
- Drew Kennedy‘s new album, An Audio Guide to Cross Country Travel, is now available through iTunes, Amazon MP3, and Napster
- In honor of the late Stephen Bruton, the Lone Star International Film Festival conceived the Stephen Bruton Award and the first honoree is Kris Kristofferson, who will accept the award on Nov. 13.
- Matthew McConaughey celebrated his big 4-0 on Tuesday with a birthday party featuring country musician Jamey Johnson.
- Start-Telegram pop critic Preston Jones was underwhelmed with Carrie Underwood‘s new album.
Underwood has had too much success doing a few things well to ever truly break out of the box, which may satisfy her financially but would seem stifling creatively. Although she makes noise in the press about pushing herself and trying new things, as she did in a recent Billboard interview, the only variable between albums is who helps write songs.
- Americana Roots posted live audio of the Sons of Bill from a concert they performed back in October.
- Matthew Houck, of Phosphorescent notoriety, talked to American Songwriter about his last album, To Willie, a collection of Willie Nelson covers, and his reluctance to playing new songs on tour before a record is actually out. Scroll to the end to listen to three live acoustic tracks.
- Music Fog posted video of Corb Lund performing “Talkin’ Veterinarian Blues.”
- Loudon Wainwright III recently released a two-CD tribute to Charlie Poole titled High Wide & Handsome: The Charlie Poole Project and he revealed to All Things Considered‘s Robert Christgau his goal for the project: a place in the Country Music Hall of Fame for a rambling man named Charlie Poole.
- Daytrotter recorded Kris Kristofferson performing three songs from his recent album.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …