The Band of Heathens will release their fourth album, Sunday Morning Record, on September 17. Listen to the first single here. Fiddlin’ Dwight Moody (The Virginia Playboys, WBT Briarhoppers) passed away on Friday at the age of 83. Todd Snider announced a fall solo tour. Rhonda Vincent and Willie Nelson sang a duet together that’ll appear […]
Jim Foglesong Passes Away; Blackberry Smoke Plays Leno; Lorraine Jordan & Carolina Road Sign with Pinecastle
Jim Foglesong passed away yesterday at the age of 90. Foglesong, a Country Music Hall of Famer, was a music executive and professor who was integral to the careers of Garth Brooks, George Strait, Reba McEntire, The Oak Ridge Boys, and many, many more. The inaugural Loretta Lynn’s Gospel Music Festival will be held at […]
Brad Paisley penned a great and appreciative column about George Jones for Billboard’s The 615. Cher’s mother, Georgia Holt, has released a country music album. Keith Urban joined The Rolling Stones on stage in Los Angeles late last week. Lauren Alaina will debut “Barefoot and Buckwild,” the first single from her sophomore album, on American […]
Tim Hensley Passes Away; Kenny Chesney Starts Fund to Aid Boston Bombing Victims; Dailey & Vincent Cover The Louvin Brothers
Tim Hensley passed away yesterday from liver failure. The 50-year old multi-instrumentalist was in Kenny Chesney’s band for 11 years and Patty Loveless’ band for ten. He released one solo album, Long Monday, in 2008. Alan Jackson, Patty Loveless, Vince Gill, The Oak Ridge Boys, and Tanya Tucker are a few of the musicians who […]
Richie Havens, the artist who opened Woodstock, passed away yesterday from a sudden heart attack. He was 72. Here’s the New York Times obituary. Glen Campbell has stopped touring due to the progression of his Alzheimer’s. However, he will release an album this summer. See You There will feature “reimagined versions of hits like ‘Wichita Lineman,’ ‘By […]
Mel Tillis Plans Book Release; Gregg Lohman, Kellie Pickler’s Drummer, Injured in Car Crash; Album Releases
Mel Tillis has a book in the works for release later this year. Gregg Lohman, Kellie Pickler’s drummer, was hospitalized with serious injuries following a car accident in Kentucky on Saturday. T Bone Burnett shares his musical influences with Vulture. Hank Williams III has two records in the works. The New Yorker published a piece […]
Taylor Swift kicked off the Grammy Awards last night with a performance of “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together.” View the full list of award winners here. Album of the Year: Mumford and Sons – Babel Best Country Album: Zac Brown Band – Uncaged Best Country Song: “Blown Away,” written by Josh Kear & Chris […]
ACM Awards Nominations to Be Announced 2/13; Gretchen Wilson to Release Three Records in 2013; Album Releases
Nominations for the 2013 ACM Awards will be announced on February 13. The awards show will be broadcast live on CBS April 7. Here’s a video of Bobby Bare playing “Boll Weevil.” Jon Caramanica of The New York Times on country music’s “masculinity crisis”: “It is not unmanly to feel deeply, which is often lost […]
Birthplace of Country Music Museum Breaks Ground; Red, Tuskegee Among 2012’s Bestsellers; Free Andrew Combs MP3
The Tennessean posted a sweet story about Patti Page. Workers broke ground on the Birthplace of Country Music Museum (slated to open in August 2014) in Bristol. Alt-country duo Sons of Fathers were featured in Rolling Stone. Here’s video of Dwight Yoakam’s recent Leno appearance. For the Love of the Music: The Club 47 Folk […]
More than 350 songs were on this year’s ballot. We cut the list to just our top 60, though it easily could have been a Top 100 countdown. What were your favorite songs of the past year? You can listen to a Spotify playlist of the available songs here. 60. Bucky Covington — “A Father’s […]
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...
- Jim Z: Dirty River Boys are from El Paso, Texas.