Thursday on the blog, Stephen published an interview with Maradith Sisco on the movie Winter’s Bone. Sisco was a consultant for the film’s music, both suggesting and recording music for its footage and soundtrack: Did you help choose the musicians for the shoot? They wanted to incorporate some local musicians they had heard play while […]
Thursday on the blog, Stephen continued his Garth Brooks series – just a little off timeline. ‘Tis the season, of course, which warranted a look at Brooks’ country Christmas cheer: He’s a kid on Christmas morning who got just what he asked for: some really great songs to sing. His versions of old hymns like […]
Thursday marked this year’s Thanksgiving holiday, a day traditionally full of turkey, football and Black Friday plotting. It’s also, of course, a day to give thanks for family, friends, health and freedom. And, as US Weekly likes to remind us, the stars are just like us. The Boot featured a full round-up of the things […]
Yesterday’s review of LeAnn Rimes’ new single “Crazy Women,” an ode to infidelity and its Aquanet-induced consequences, sparked a debate on what role an artist’s personal life plays in a listener’s appreciation of his or her music. A commenter by the name of Damage Control Begins started things off by noting the similarities between the […]
Out of all the hoopla surrounding Taylor Swift’s latest album Speak Now, an interesting article emerged that examined the record’s impact on the music industry. On NPR Music’s The Record, Jacob Ganz wrote about “Five Lessons The Recording Industry Can Take From Taylor Swift’s Massive Week.” The first point looked at where fans bought the […]
Tuesday in his News Roundup, Brody included on item on an interesting CMA Awards duet between country’s Jason Aldean and American Idol winner Kelly Clarkson. GAC had more on the collaboration, which also appears on Aldean’s new album My Kinda Party: The new Jason Aldean album, My Kinda Party, is released today, and while the […]
Tuesday on the blog, Stephen review Tim McGraw’s new single “Felt Good on My Lips.” In the opening paragraph, Stephen compared McGraw’s recent bout of ill-advised single choices to a certain baseball team: Over the last few years, Tim McGraw has become the New York Yankees of country music: well paid and certainly talented, but […]
In Thursday’s News Roundup, Brody included a link to Jamey Johnson’s new music video for “Playing the Part.” The video is a pretty direct correlation to Johnson’s song, with a little help from a monkey suit, Mad Dog 20/20 and director (and friend) Matthew McConaughey. Even if video killed the radio star, music videos have […]
On Monday, Pierce reviewed Marshall Chapman’s new book They Came to Nashville, which interviews country stars such as Miranda Lambert and Rodney Crowell about their journeys to Music City. The post sparked an interesting debate on the merit of reviews of songs, albums and, of course, books. Commenter Waynoe offered that he believes “we (some […]
In a discussion that developed from Blake Boldt’s review of the new Kenny Chesney album Hemingway’s Whiskey, commenter Noeller brought up the term “generation-defining artist”: Because people are talking like KC has always sucked, which is patently untrue. His material prior to the No Shoes…. disc (and even some of the stuff on that album…) […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.