Here’s Will Hoge’s new video for “Middle of America.” Barry Mazor talked about Ralph Peer on Marketplace the other day. Listen here. Garth Brooks played a free show in San Francisco yesterday. (warning: autoplay) This is nice: during one of Garth’s Minneapolis shows, he serenaded a fan who has been battling cancer, then gave her his […]
Some jerkwad stole ten of Radney Foster’s guitars and an amp from a locked storage facility. Six instruments have already been recovered. Barry Mazor’s new Wall Street Journal column looks at the five artists nominated for the Americana Music Association’s Emerging Artist of the Year Award: Valerie June, Parker Millsap, St. Paul & The Broken Bones, […]
Lori McKenna will release a ten-song album called Numbered Doors on September 23. Cindy Watts reported in The Tennessean that Johnny Cash’s boyhood home is fully renovated and ready for its grand opening on August 16 in Dyess, Arkansas. Ticketmaster broke when tickets for Garth Brooks’ Atlanta concerts went on sale. We’d like to send some well wishes […]
Ashley Monroe Hospitalized; Mac Wiseman Announces New Album; Rodney Crowell Named Musical Director of Everly Brothers Tribute
Ashley Monroe has canceled some upcoming shows due to a severe kidney infection. As she posted on her website yesterday, “This is very serious and I’m heading back to Nashville to go to the hospital. Thank you for understanding and please keep me in your prayers. I’m so sorry for the disappointment this will cause, but if […]
Bigger Picture Group, the current home of Craig Campbell, Chris Janson, Blackjack Billy and more, has ceased operations. According to CEO David Robkin, executives and administrative staff are continuing to work to support the label’s artists and to seek new funding. Willie Nelson has donated platinum records, manuscripts, and correspondence to the Dolph Briscoe Center for […]
Lester Armistead of The Tennessee Mafia Jug Band passed away last Friday. Jamey Johnson is a free agent: he’s no longer signed to Mercury Records. There’s currently no news on what his next music move might be. Bryan White announced on his Facebook page that his Kickstarter-backed album, Shine, will be released on May 27. […]
Drive-By Truckers Announce Tour Dates; Aldean Partners with MLB; Killer Blues Headstone Project Memorializes Musicians
Stream Mary Chapin Carpenter’s new orchestral album, Songs From the Movie. North Carolina governor Pat McCrory will help dedicate the Earl Scruggs Center at its grand opening on January 11. CMT Edge posted Austin Lucas’ new video for “Alone in Memphis.” Adam Sheets interviewed Jimbo Mathus about his plans for 2014, Charley Patton, and more. […]
John Prine: It Took Me Years to Get These Souvenirs will open at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum on November 15. The spotlight exhibit is scheduled to run through May 2014. Kristin Sanders (niece of songwriter Mark D. Sanders) in The Guardian: The Watermelon Queen, Bobbie Joe Gentry, Liza Jane, Fancy: these […]
MerleFest Lineup Announced; Jennifer Nettles’ Solo Album Due in January; Darrell Webb Releases New Single
Everyone from Alan Jackson to Zephyr Lightning Bolts is playing MerleFest next April. George Strait took home the ASCAP Founders Award Monday night. Check out the full list of winners here. Speaking of ASCAP, the organization has kicked off its centennial celebration. Will Hoge played a set for CMT. This is from The National Enquirer, […]
Stream There Will be Nights When I’m Lonely, the new album from one-man band Possessed by Paul James, at Saving Country Music. Mandy Barnett will release I Can’t Stop Loving You: The Songs of Don Gibson, through Cracker Barrel on November 11. Tracks include “Sweet Dreams,” “Oh, Lonesome Me,” and “I Can’t Stop Loving You.” […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.