Some jerkwad stole ten of Radney Foster’s guitars and an amp from a locked storage facility. Six instruments have already been recovered. Barry Mazor’s new Wall Street Journal column looks at the five artists nominated for the Americana Music Association’s Emerging Artist of the Year Award: Valerie June, Parker Millsap, St. Paul & The Broken Bones, […]
We did a Springsteen Friday Five on The 9513 three years ago, but there are so many good covers that it’s time for a second volume. Bonus Track: Trisha Yearwood — “Sad Eyes” Okay, this one made the last Springsteen Friday Five, but it’s so good I’ve got to post it again. Double Bonus […]
Willie Nelson Visits Fallon; Ray Wylie Hubbard Announces New Tour Dates; Philly Folk Festival Lineup Announced; Stream New Bob Wayne Song
No Depression crowd-sourced questions for a Marty Stuart interview. Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, and John Hiatt will headline the 51st Philadelphia Folk Festival, which will be held August 17-19. Wanda Jackson, Pokey LaFarge, Mary Chapin Carpenter, and others are also slated to perform. Eddy Arnold’s grandson, Shannon Pollard, along with Don Cusic and Cheetah Chrome, […]
On July 10, the Zac Brown Band will release their new album, Uncaged. Trombone Shorty guests on one of the songs. Levon Helm’s friends and fans can pay their respects at his Woodstock studio tomorrow between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. The Crooked Road Music Heritage Trail in Southwest Virginia is hosting a contest in […]
Pickathon Lineup Announced; Jerrod Niemann’s Bus Catches Fire; Friday Night Lights Actress Connie Britton to Star in ABC’s Nashville
This year’s Pickathon lineup was just announced: Whitey Morgan & The 78s, Danny Paisley & The Southern Grass, Abigail Washburn, and Cajun Country Revival are just a few of the acts slated to play the August festival. Brad Paisley announced a string of summer tour dates. Texas Heritage Songwriters Hall of Fame inducted Lyle Lovett, […]
Jennifer Nettles got married last Saturday to boyfriend Justin Miller. Producer and Columbia Records A&R rep Don DeVito passed away on Friday at the age of 72. He was instrumental in the careers of Bob Dylan, The Byrds, and more. Songwriter Virginia Mae Stauffer passed away earlier this month. Did a group called The Speek […]
Frank Liddell to Produce Lee Ann Womack’s New Record; Whitey Morgan & The 78s to Record Live Album; New Releases
Lee Ann Womack’s husband, Frank Liddell, will produce her new album, which will be released some time in 2012. The newest Quotable Country features Mac McAnally, Caitlin Rose, Jimmy Wayne, and more. Barry Mazor had a talk with Guy Clark and Verlon Thompson for a feature in the Wall Street Journal. Speaking of Clark, he’s […]
Mike Ragogna chatted with Suzy Bogguss about her latest album, American Folk Songbook. The9513.com alum Pierce Greenberg looked on as Rodney Atkins shot scenes for a music video atop a water tower in White Bluff, Tennessee. The newest Give Me My XXX compilation features Whitey Morgan & The 78s, Jason Isbell, and more. Download it […]
There’s a quote from Drew Carey about people who hate their job: “There’s a support group for that. It’s called Everybody, and they meet at the bar.” If that support group has an official soundtrack, it’s probably Whitey Morgan and the 78s’ new, self-titled release, which is chock full of tunes for hard workers and […]
Tracy Lawrence is at work on a new album that addresses hard times, so it’s only logical that it’s tentatively titled Hard Times. In an interview with The Daily Times’ Steve Wildsmith, Lawrence says the bulk of the album is the traditional fare he’s known for, but he had to make some concessions to get […]
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …