As the torch bearer of Western swing for multiple generations now, I’m sure Ray Benson had numerous motivations for creating a musical about Bob Wills. As artists get older, it’s only natural for them to want to open up new mediums of expression. A Ride With Bob allows Benson to do that very thing while […]
It took three months, 10 voters and 300 nominated albums, but we’ve finally made it to the top of the mountain. These are The 9513’s Top 10 Country Albums of the Decade. From stark tales of life in the coal mine to slick-and-polished pop country to an outlaw savior, these 10 diverse albums–put forth by […]
The final round of nominees for the 2009 CMT Music Awards has been announced and voting is open. Sugarland leads with five nominations while Brad Paisley and Taylor Swift follow with four each. New releases for the week of May 19, 2009 include: Ashley Monroe – Satisfied Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Craig Duncan – […]
Drew L. Wilson is a writer, photographer and documentary filmmaker who’s work has appeared in Stream Side, Water World, PBS and over 20 other environmental and engineering magazines. He is currently working on a documentary about Bob Wills to premier at Tulsa’s Historic Circle Cinema, as well as a screenplay with Merle Haggard on Bob […]
Even those of us who love Western Swing are forced to acknowledge that for that form, Bob Wills, much like Bob Marley for Reggae and Bill Monroe for Bluegrass, is the colossus against whom all other artists are compared. While others may occasionally break out of the shadow of the colossus, still the colossus remains. […]
When the nominations for the ACM Awards were announced on Wednesday, several readers keenly noted that the album of the year nominees were missing from the list. It was reported that those nominations would be announced in March after a re-vote. Country Universe has the reasoning behind the re-vote via Peter Cooper’s article in The […]
This record has a great story behind it. Jerry Wexler–the Atlantic Records head who coined the term “R&B” and consistently brought legendary talent to Atlantic to make some of the best records of their career–in true form had brought Willie Nelson to Atlantic Records and, among other projects, wanted to cut a Western Swing record […]
Randy Lewis has a great interview with Merle Haggard over at the L.A. Times. Even more than his voluminous recordings, publishing royalties from his extensive trove of country songs assure him and his family financial stability for the rest of his life. “I make enough off my royalties that I could sit on my ass […]
Dierks Bentley‘s fourth studio album, due out on Feb. 3, will keep the title of his first single from the record, “Feel That Fire,” and he’ll debut the video this Friday on Yahoo! Music. Julianne Hough and Chuck Wicks, who have been dating for five months, casually throw out the possibility of the “M” word. […]
Asleep at the Wheel may not have been the first artist to play during this year’s Austin City Limits Music Festival, but it wasn’t until “Miles and Miles of Texas” began to ring across Zilker Park that regulars knew ACL Fest was truly underway. That’s because Asleep at the Wheel has helped start the festival […]
- luckyoldsun: MH-- "...divisive, dismissive and argumentative." There's a shock. Who'da thunk it.
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.