As the torch bearer of Western swing for multiple generations now, I’m sure Ray Benson had numerous motivations for creating a musical about Bob Wills. As artists get older, it’s only natural for them to want to open up new mediums of expression. A Ride With Bob allows Benson to do that very thing while […]
It took three months, 10 voters and 300 nominated albums, but we’ve finally made it to the top of the mountain. These are The 9513′s Top 10 Country Albums of the Decade. From stark tales of life in the coal mine to slick-and-polished pop country to an outlaw savior, these 10 diverse albums–put forth by […]
The final round of nominees for the 2009 CMT Music Awards has been announced and voting is open. Sugarland leads with five nominations while Brad Paisley and Taylor Swift follow with four each. New releases for the week of May 19, 2009 include: Ashley Monroe – Satisfied Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Craig Duncan – […]
Drew L. Wilson is a writer, photographer and documentary filmmaker who’s work has appeared in Stream Side, Water World, PBS and over 20 other environmental and engineering magazines. He is currently working on a documentary about Bob Wills to premier at Tulsa’s Historic Circle Cinema, as well as a screenplay with Merle Haggard on Bob […]
Even those of us who love Western Swing are forced to acknowledge that for that form, Bob Wills, much like Bob Marley for Reggae and Bill Monroe for Bluegrass, is the colossus against whom all other artists are compared. While others may occasionally break out of the shadow of the colossus, still the colossus remains. […]
When the nominations for the ACM Awards were announced on Wednesday, several readers keenly noted that the album of the year nominees were missing from the list. It was reported that those nominations would be announced in March after a re-vote. Country Universe has the reasoning behind the re-vote via Peter Cooper’s article in The […]
This record has a great story behind it. Jerry Wexler–the Atlantic Records head who coined the term “R&B” and consistently brought legendary talent to Atlantic to make some of the best records of their career–in true form had brought Willie Nelson to Atlantic Records and, among other projects, wanted to cut a Western Swing record […]
Randy Lewis has a great interview with Merle Haggard over at the L.A. Times. Even more than his voluminous recordings, publishing royalties from his extensive trove of country songs assure him and his family financial stability for the rest of his life. “I make enough off my royalties that I could sit on my ass […]
Dierks Bentley‘s fourth studio album, due out on Feb. 3, will keep the title of his first single from the record, “Feel That Fire,” and he’ll debut the video this Friday on Yahoo! Music. Julianne Hough and Chuck Wicks, who have been dating for five months, casually throw out the possibility of the “M” word. […]
Asleep at the Wheel may not have been the first artist to play during this year’s Austin City Limits Music Festival, but it wasn’t until “Miles and Miles of Texas” began to ring across Zilker Park that regulars knew ACL Fest was truly underway. That’s because Asleep at the Wheel has helped start the festival […]
- Bobby P.: Thanks for the link to my one hit wonder article!
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …