Caitlin Rose on World Cafe; Czechgrass Band Celebrates 20th Anniversary; Joe Nichols to Host ACM Honors
Dex Romweber Duo debuted their new video for “Jungle Drums.” I’ve been enjoying Country Universe’s retro single reviews. Kevin Coyne recently tackled “Amarillo By Morning.” Bluegrass blogger Ted Lehmann has filmed an extensive collection of performances. Keep an eye on his YouTube page through festival season. The Muddy Roots Festival lineup looks pretty great, with […]
Trailer Choir Downgrades; Carrie Rodriguez Releases Country Duets Project; Amos Lee Tops Album Chart
From trio to duo: Crystal Hoyt is leaving Trailer Choir to pursue other interests. In my haste yesterday, I forgot to mention the release of Carrie Rodriguez‘ country duet record with Ben Kyle, We Still Love Our Country. Stream the songs on her website and if you like what you hear, choose a download price […]
Brad Paisley announced that the song he debuted at the CMA Awards, “This Is Country Music,” will be his next single. (via CMT) Dollywood was awarded the Liseberg Applause Award, the amusement park industry’s top theme park award, on Tuesday. “Of course, Walt Disney became successful because he had Mickey Mouse who has two big […]
There are a couple cool folks celebrating a birthday today: Mr. T and country singer/journalist Peter Cooper. Wouldn’t you love to be in attendance at that birthday dinner? I imagine they’d have a lot to say to one another. Anyway, here’s a Friday Five about birthdays, and one song to grow on. 6. “Happy Birthday […]
Tomorrow is the third annual National Train Day. Now, country music is known to have more than a few good train songs, but since this event has only been in existence since 2008, this week’s Friday Five will only feature songs released since Train Day’s inception. 5. “White Pass Railroad” – The Del McCoury Band […]
A lifetime spent listening to music has taught me a lot about Saturday night. It is, for example, all right for fighting or going to the movies, not to mention a good night to simultaneously keep dancing to the rock and roll and work on one’s spelling, and those are just the pop songs. Nobody […]
I haven’t watched the CMA awards in years. Sometimes I’ve had a gig, but most of the time, there wasn’t anything there to interest me. I would flip channels and land on the awards show, but wouldn’t stay long. In the 80s, I didn’t miss a show. All my favorite artists were on. Country had […]
A recent debate with a friend has me wondering: Has the steel guitar gone underground, or is the steel guitar dead and gone from country music altogether, buried “under the ground?” Since Webb Pierce came out with “Slowly” in 1954, the pedal steel guitar has been the signature instrument of country music. Virtually non-existent in […]
This September, The 9513 is saluting one of our favorite topics: truckin’. We had a list long as Route 66, but after much debate, narrowed it down to 40 artists and 40 songs. Though there is a fair amount of women truck drivers, this list is Y chromosome heavy. You won’t find too many ballads […]
MySpace Records Artist Development signed its first country artist, KJ Testin (MySpace). (via Nashville Gab) Rosanne Cash will be the subject of the Americana Music Association’s Festival and Conference 2009 Keynote Interview. Mallary Hope‘s “Love Lives On” is the iTunes free single of the week. (iTunes) Country Haiku: Big Bad John has died This is […]
- Mike W: Really liking the new Ryan Bingham song, his last album really didnt do much for me, but this new song …
- nm: Oh, the old Sutler. The first time I visited Nashville, I went to a New Year's Eve show there: Lonesome …
- Tom: ...another "favorite child question". then again, what would the genre be without all the drama it's got to deal with. …
- luckyoldsun: Dwight's had so many great songs. From memory, I'd have to name "Bakersfield" with Buck Owens, "Guitars, Cadillacs," "Nothing" and …
- Scooter: Thanks Jonathon. Downloaded "Last Chance for a thousand years" and love it. Was unaware of that album.
- Donald: The correct answer is of course, "Bury Me."
- Leeann Ward: As far as I know, I have all of Dwight's albums. It's truly impossible to choose a favorite song, but …
- Michael: I wonder if Kasey Chambers will be visiting Dr. Gwen Korovin for treatment of her vocal cords...
- Dave D.: Just about any song off of Dwight's first three albums would qualify as a favorite; forced to pick one I'd …
- Jack Williams: No. Not Owner of a Lonely Heart. I was hoping for better when I saw the article title …