Tony Douglas Passes Away; Blake Shelton Controversy Boils Over; Coen Brothers Release Trailer for New Folk Music Film
The Blake Shelton business mentioned in the Thursday morning roundup exploded yesterday afternoon. Ray Price took to his Facebook page and wrote It’s a shame that I have spend 63 years in this business trying to introduce music to a larger audience and to make it easier for the younger artists who are coming behind [...]
The Band Perry Premieres New Video; Underwood, Stringdusters Announce Tour Dates; New Christmas Music from Black Prairie & Sallie Ford
The Dallas Observer’s Kelly Dearmore lists the North Texas area’s ten best country songs of the year. Watch the new video for The Band Perry’s “Better Dig Two.” The Americana Music Association announced a new board of directors. Don Maddox will be recognized by Ashland, Oregon as part of his 90th Birthday Celebration, held on December [...]
HoF to Hold “Women of West Coast Country” Panel; Download Rayna Gellert, Buddy Miller & Jim Lauderdale Songs; Album Releases
Here’s a New York Times article about Darden Smith’s SongwritingWith:Soldiers retreat, which helps veterans find some healing through writing: Staff Sgt. Eustacio Obregon, who deployed four times to Iraq as a petroleum supply specialist, composed a song with Sergeants McRae and Josh Hartman, 43, about firefights, friends who were killed in battle and repeat deployments. [...]
Matraca Berg’s new album, Love’s Truck Stop, is getting good reviews across the pond. The second annual Red River Songwriters Festival will be held January 24-26 in Red River, New Mexico. Artists scheduled to perform include Ray Wylie Hubbard, Walt Wilkins, Drew Kennedy, and more. Listen to new Junior Brown song, “Hang Up and Drive.” [...]
Charlie Daniels to Sing Monday Night Football Intro; New Wanda Jackson Video; Troubadour, TX Returns
Rock out to some new Wanda Jackson. Jewly Hight wrote a cover story on Jason Isbell for the Nashville Scene. Hight also recapped the Americana Awards for American Songwriter. If you missed said awards, you can listen to the archived webcast. Brian T. Atkinson of the Austin American-Statesman interviewed singer-songwriter Caroline Herring about her new [...]
Buddy Miller & Jim Lauderdale Launch Sirius XM Show; Kenny Chesney Nets 24th No. 1 Single; Music City Roots Celebrates Guitar Night
Buddy Miller and Jim Lauderdale are launching their own radio show on Sirius XM’s Outlaw Country on August 4 at 10 p.m. Eastern. American Songwriter has a teaser of Lucinda Williams’ guest appearance on The Buddy & Jim Show. There’s a famous voice in this fan-assisted video of Gretchen Peters’ “Hello Cruel World.” Stream Walt [...]
June was a superbly good month for music, with Alan Jackson, Don Williams, and Elizabeth Cook all releasing albums. Here are a few of my favorite releases from the past month that we haven’t reviewed. What albums were in heavy rotation on your stereo this June? 6. The Bankesters – Looking Forward This bluegrass family band [...]
Reba Concert Special to Premiere on GAC; Stringdusters New Album Due in March; The Dos and Don’ts of Covering Dylan
Reba’s filmed a concert special called All the Woman I Am that is scheduled to premiere on GAC March 17. Noel Murray of the A.V. Club takes a look at the recent compilation Chimes of Freedom and delivers dos and don’ts of covering Bob Dylan. An excerpt: Maybe this is Rick Rubin and Johnny Cash’s [...]
Fresh Water in the Salton Sea, Drew Kennedy’s new project, is something of a novel idea. Yes, it’s the Texas-based singer-songwriter’s fifth album, but it’s also the title of his first book, a travel narrative that follows fictional alt-country artist Dan Murphy as he tours the American West alone, playing shows, encountering off-kilter characters, drinking [...]
- Luckyoldsun: Sounds good. Is she--or her husband--related to Dallas? (I'll assume not to Joe.)
- Luckyoldsun: R-- Sounds like you're expanding your palate. "60′s style California hippie vibe" sounds like something you'd have banned from your playlist.
- Rick: I like the production, the excellent guitar picking, and Rebecca has a nice voice with individuality, but the song structure ...
- Rick: That Buddy Emmons tribute album sounds kinda interesting. I just might have to give it a listen when it's available. Congratulations ...
- Jon: Jack Bernhardt is the bomb.
- Bruce: Good article on Rucker. I do not care for all his songs and he is far from my favorite. I ...
- Kelly D.: Dig the Whiskey Sisters and the write-up from ol' Jim C.
- Bruce: "Why do people talk about the authenticity and/or genuineness of others with whom they’ve had no direct, normal social interaction ...
- Luckyoldsun: Hank III says "Old Junior once said it best,"--Is that some sort of rapprochement in the Williams family soap opera? It's ...
- Joan Harrison: Hi, My husband and I really enjoy watching your show each week. You had a recipe on for pork ...