Wade Hayes is cancer-free and back in the studio working on a new album. Kacey Musgraves played “The Trailer Song” on The Tonight Show late last week. Musgraves has also recorded backing vocals for Brian Wilson’s next album. Steel Magnolia’s Meghan Linsey premiered a new song called “Try Harder Than That” that will be on her upcoming record. […]
Carrie Underwood will star as Maria von Trapp in an upcoming live NBC broadcast of The Sound of Music. The show will air in late 2013. Actor Wilford Brimley joined Riders in the Sky for an Opry performance. Marty Stuart will celebrate 20 years of Opry membership on Saturday: Stuart will be celebrated during a one-hour […]
Dolly Parton Withdraws from Planned Water Park; Tracy Lawrence Honored with Humanitarian Award; New Music Videos
On her blog, “Me and Emily” singer Rachel Proctor outlined her struggles over the last four and a half months. She suffered a postpartum hemorrhage following the birth of her daughter Olivia, who was born with a life-threatening heart defect. From her latest post: “At one point I heard the nurse say my blood pressure […]
Americana Festival Celebrates Best Year to Date; Toby Keith Surprises Military Wife; New Videos from Paul Thorn, Tift Merritt
Jim Lauderdale is The Bluegrass Situation’s Artist of the Month. This year’s Americana Music Festival and Conference was the most successful one to date. Next year’s shindig will be held September 18-22. Gretchen Peters will perform at National Plug In Day, a celebration of electric cars, in Nashville this weekend. Ryan Bingham chatted with Michael […]
Americana Music Award Winners Announced; Bearfoot Undergoes Lineup Changes; Stream New Dwight Yoakam Song
Here are the winners of last night’s Americana Music Awards and Honors: Instrumentalist of the Year: Dave Rawlings Album of the Year: This One’s For Him: A Tribute to Guy Clark; produced by Tamara Saviano and Shawn Camp Song Of The Year Award : “Alabama Pines;” Written by Jason Isbell and performed by Jason Isbell […]
The legendary Kitty Wells passed away yesterday at the age of 92. These lengthy obituaries from the Washington Post, New York Times, Tennessean, MusicRow, NPR, and CMT.com are all worth reading. Bassist Bob Babbitt, who played on classics like Gladys Knight & The Pips’ “Midnight Train to Georgia” and appeared on albums by Frank Sinatra, Elton […]
Wade Hayes, the Oklahoma native celebrating his 42nd birthday today, has found himself making news for all the wrong reasons lately. He was recently diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer and is currently battling the debilitating disease. From 1994 to 1998, few artists were as popular on the charts as Hayes. He charted 11 hits and […]
Carol Lee Cooper Ends Opry Career; Texas Regional Radio Music Awards Winners Announced; Album Releases
Terry Bumgarner of CMT.com interviewed Wade Hayes, who’s currently recovering from colon cancer. Carol Lee Cooper, daughter of Wilma Lee and Stoney, marked the end of her 40-year Opry career last Saturday. Sunny Sweeney, The Eli Young Band, and others took home Texas Regional Radio Music Awards. The full list of winners can be found here. […]
New Whitney Duncan Album In Works; Miley Cyrus Has Death Threats and Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver Announce Gospel Album
Whitney Duncan, fresh off her Survivor experience, has taken to Kickstarter to help raise funds for a new album called Where The Back Roads Run. “This is so fun for me, because I can make the record I want to make! I really hope ya’ll are as excited about this project as I am…it was […]
Country Album Sales Increase in 2011; New Music From Emily West; Stream The Little Willies’ New Album
Stream For the Good Times, the upcoming album from The Little Willies, over at NPR’s music blog. Journey and Rascal Flatts are rumored to be doing a CMT Crossroads together in February. Bluegrass banjo player Shorty Eager passed away. He had played with Jimmy Martin’s Sunny Mountain Boys and several other bluegrass groups. Peter Cooper […]
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...
- Jim Z: Dirty River Boys are from El Paso, Texas.