Carrie Underwood will star as Maria von Trapp in an upcoming live NBC broadcast of The Sound of Music. The show will air in late 2013. Actor Wilford Brimley joined Riders in the Sky for an Opry performance. Marty Stuart will celebrate 20 years of Opry membership on Saturday: Stuart will be celebrated during a one-hour [...]
Dolly Parton Withdraws from Planned Water Park; Tracy Lawrence Honored with Humanitarian Award; New Music Videos
On her blog, “Me and Emily” singer Rachel Proctor outlined her struggles over the last four and a half months. She suffered a postpartum hemorrhage following the birth of her daughter Olivia, who was born with a life-threatening heart defect. From her latest post: “At one point I heard the nurse say my blood pressure [...]
Americana Festival Celebrates Best Year to Date; Toby Keith Surprises Military Wife; New Videos from Paul Thorn, Tift Merritt
Jim Lauderdale is The Bluegrass Situation’s Artist of the Month. This year’s Americana Music Festival and Conference was the most successful one to date. Next year’s shindig will be held September 18-22. Gretchen Peters will perform at National Plug In Day, a celebration of electric cars, in Nashville this weekend. Ryan Bingham chatted with Michael [...]
Americana Music Award Winners Announced; Bearfoot Undergoes Lineup Changes; Stream New Dwight Yoakam Song
Here are the winners of last night’s Americana Music Awards and Honors: Instrumentalist of the Year: Dave Rawlings Album of the Year: This One’s For Him: A Tribute to Guy Clark; produced by Tamara Saviano and Shawn Camp Song Of The Year Award : “Alabama Pines;” Written by Jason Isbell and performed by Jason Isbell [...]
The legendary Kitty Wells passed away yesterday at the age of 92. These lengthy obituaries from the Washington Post, New York Times, Tennessean, MusicRow, NPR, and CMT.com are all worth reading. Bassist Bob Babbitt, who played on classics like Gladys Knight & The Pips’ “Midnight Train to Georgia” and appeared on albums by Frank Sinatra, Elton [...]
Wade Hayes, the Oklahoma native celebrating his 42nd birthday today, has found himself making news for all the wrong reasons lately. He was recently diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer and is currently battling the debilitating disease. From 1994 to 1998, few artists were as popular on the charts as Hayes. He charted 11 hits and [...]
Carol Lee Cooper Ends Opry Career; Texas Regional Radio Music Awards Winners Announced; Album Releases
Terry Bumgarner of CMT.com interviewed Wade Hayes, who’s currently recovering from colon cancer. Carol Lee Cooper, daughter of Wilma Lee and Stoney, marked the end of her 40-year Opry career last Saturday. Sunny Sweeney, The Eli Young Band, and others took home Texas Regional Radio Music Awards. The full list of winners can be found here. [...]
New Whitney Duncan Album In Works; Miley Cyrus Has Death Threats and Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver Announce Gospel Album
Whitney Duncan, fresh off her Survivor experience, has taken to Kickstarter to help raise funds for a new album called Where The Back Roads Run. “This is so fun for me, because I can make the record I want to make! I really hope ya’ll are as excited about this project as I am…it was [...]
Country Album Sales Increase in 2011; New Music From Emily West; Stream The Little Willies’ New Album
Stream For the Good Times, the upcoming album from The Little Willies, over at NPR’s music blog. Journey and Rascal Flatts are rumored to be doing a CMT Crossroads together in February. Bluegrass banjo player Shorty Eager passed away. He had played with Jimmy Martin’s Sunny Mountain Boys and several other bluegrass groups. Peter Cooper [...]
Wade Hayes has stage IV colon cancer that has spread to his liver. He has recently had surgery and according to sources, the prognosis is good. Hayes is one of the good guys: we did an interview with him a couple years back for The 9513 you can read here. Dan “Bee” Spears, the bassist [...]
- KC: My picks seem to be doing ok without a label, but I would sign them even if it was just ...
- SCOOTER: Sturgill Simpson - fantastic artist Ashton Shepherd - I know she was recently dropped and a lot of people complain ...
- Daniel Mullins: Lee Ann Womack is a must. I would also sign Wyatt McCubbin. He was featured on The Music Inside: A Tribute ...
- Ken Morton, Jr.: BTW- Julie's been in the recording studio all this past week and will be unveiling something new soon.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Jonathan, I actually had this exact conversation with Julie Roberts a couple weeks ago. She came out with Emily West, ...
- Jack Williams: The first name that came to my mind was electic bluesman Alvin Youngblood Hart. He hasn't released a proper ...
- bob: There was a survey by cmt.com dated 3/31/10 which showed more than 175 country act signed to major labels. I ...
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I would sign: 1) Trisha Yearwood - I don't believe she's affiliated with Big Machine Records anymore and a new CD ...
- Juli Thanki: Oh, good thinking with Hellbound Glory, Mike. Their music matured so much between Old Highs & New Lows and Damaged ...
- Mike Wimmer: 1. Jamey Johnson-I know he is technically with a label already, but they are in dispute over how he feels ...