Disclaimer: Expect no objectivity at all from me with this article. Along with Webb Pierce and Merle Haggard, Ernest Tubb is one of my all-time favorite country artists. Yes, I know he started out most songs a quarter tone flat and worked his way flatter from there, and yes, I know that 80% of The […]
Same admonition as before. Just some songs I liked, one song per artist. “Everybody’s Reaching Out For Someone” – Pat Daisy (1972) Beautiful and blessed with a great voice, she never did break through as a major star since she was buried at RCA behind Connie Smith, Dolly Parton, Dottie West and Skeeter Davis. This […]
Welcome to the 9513 Last.fm Chart Update. This has been a feature of The 9513’s forums for a few months now and started off as a way to talk about the musical tastes of our readers. It’s now been called up from AAA to the big leagues. But first thing’s first, as some of you […]
New releases for the week of May 5, 2009 include: Bobby Duncan – Faith, Hope and Everything Else Amazon | MySpace Bourbon Crow – Long Way To the Bottom Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Buzz Cason – Busload of Love Amazon | MySpace David Davis & The Warrior River Boys – Two Dimes & A […]
The video for Kenny Chesney‘s song “Out Last Night” debuted on MySpace today. Proceed with caution, you’ll never get the next three minutes and 16 seconds of your life back. Farce the Music sold out to make a serious recommendation for Do Wrong Right by The Devil Makes Three (MySpace). That’s the second strong endorsement […]
Karlie Justus reviewed a recent George Jones concert where he had a few slip-ups, but still conveyed heartache through is performance. Brian T. Atkinson has a brief interview with Sugarland’s Kristian Bush for Austin360. My Kind of Country reviewed Vern Gosdin‘s 1989 album Alone, which isn’t formally available but can be picked up on the […]
The ability to convey the depths of despair, the heights of jubilation and the serenity of an abiding faith are all that is required to be known as “The Voice.” Unfortunately, very few possess the ability to do all that and what’s more unfortunate, we lost one of those few–possibly the best of those few–today […]
Country legend Vern Gosdin passed away in his sleep last night at the age of 74. But Gosdin found his greatest success doing mainstream country, as he scored No. 1 singles with “I Can Tell by the Way You Dance,” the Ernest Tubb quasi-tribute “Set ‘Em Up” and “I’m Still Crazy.” His recording of “Chiseled […]
Toby Keith is launching his own clothing line, TK Steelman, on Febuary 18. According to his publicist, “the look mixes the influences Keith brings to his own wardrobe – part rocker and part biker with a “country sexy” aesthetic punctuated by oilfield imagery in the brand’s logos and font selections.” Watch a video of Ray […]
VGM Records plans to release a four-CD career retrospective of Vern Gosdin in November. Titled 40 Years of the Voice, the set will feature 101 songs, including 14 previously unreleased tracks. Famed comedian and actor Steve Martin recorded an album of serious banjo tunes produced by John McCuen (of Nitty Gritty Dirt Band fame?), however […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.