Compass Records to Release Jean Ritchie Tribute; Alan Jackson, Kenny Rogers HoF Exhibits to Open in August; Ralph Stanley Elected to American Academy of Arts & Sciences
Ralph Stanley, Al Pacino, Annie Proulx, Robert Reich, and Robert Ballard: the world’s most interesting dinner party or a few of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences’ newly elected fellows? (It’s the latter. Stanley, Pacino, et al. will be officially inducted into the Academy on October 11.) “Alan Jackson: 25 Years of Keepin’ it […]
Hopefully you all got through yesterday without incident, because April 14 is the anniversary of some pretty awful events. Let’s check out some songs about it. 5. “Booth Shot Lincoln” – Uncle Earl The assassination at Ford’s Theatre occurred on the night of April 14, 1865, when President Lincoln and his wife were attending a […]
There was a ton of country music released in February, a great deal of which never found its way onto the pages of The 9513. Here are abbreviated album reviews of last month’s under-the-radar music. Lightning From The North – .357 String Band The third release from this scrappy Milwaukee quartet is bursting at the […]
The American Revival Tour is currently winding its way down the Eastern seaboard, spreading the gospel of oldtime and bluegrass. Monday night the tour stopped in Alexandria’s at the Birchmere. Though the venue wasn’t sold out, there was a respectable turnout for a weeknight, especially considering that Lyle Lovett and Bruce Springsteen were in town. […]
To date, only four presidents have been assassinated, which is why today’s list only contains four songs. Also, you’ve probably been put on some sort of government watch list just for reading this. Enjoy! 4. “Lee Harvey Was A Friend of Mine” – Laura Cantrell Cantrell covered this tale of conspiracy on her EP The […]
After 36 years of publication, Radio & Records is calling it quits. The current state of affairs has left The Nielsen Company with no other alternative but to immediately cease all services, products and events related to Radio & Records. The magazine’s final edition is the June 5 issue. Electronic products end today, the Web […]
Sales for Jamey Johnson‘s album That Lonesome song jumped 60 percent since he won the ACM Song of the Year for “In Color.” Commenting on plans for the future, Johnson says he hopes to have a new album in the fall or early winter and has contributed songs to George Strait for consideration on his […]
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.
- Janice Brooks: Peter Cooper needs an edit. Stringbean did not die in 1964.
- Leeann: I can't contribute to this list, but I did think of Steve Earle and The Wire. It's not my …
- Jeremy Dylan: That was a great episode of Monk. The "Georgia On My Mind" scene is just heartbreaking.
- Juli Thanki: I think I'm the only person in the world who never got into "The Wire." Earle was on "SVU" a …
- Jack Williams: Steve Earle on The Wire.
- Leeann: I am very excited to hear collaborations between Ashley Monroe and Charlie Worsham!! It totally makes sense for themto collaborate. I …
- Juli Thanki: You know it!