Stream There Will be Nights When I’m Lonely, the new album from one-man band Possessed by Paul James, at Saving Country Music. Mandy Barnett will release I Can’t Stop Loving You: The Songs of Don Gibson, through Cracker Barrel on November 11. Tracks include “Sweet Dreams,” “Oh, Lonesome Me,” and “I Can’t Stop Loving You.” […]
ABC to Broadcast Nashville Documentary; Skaggs & Hornsby Play Conan; Free St. Paul & The Broken Bones Download
Here are some videos from The Avett Brothers, Julie Roberts, and The Quiet Life. Ty Herndon’s got a new single. Download a St. Paul and the Broken Bones EP on NoiseTrade. Ricky Skaggs and Bruce Hornsby were on Conan last night. Phyllis Stark (Billboard) writes that country music’s dearth of women extends beyond the charts; […]
The Band of Heathens will release their fourth album, Sunday Morning Record, on September 17. Listen to the first single here. Fiddlin’ Dwight Moody (The Virginia Playboys, WBT Briarhoppers) passed away on Friday at the age of 83. Todd Snider announced a fall solo tour. Rhonda Vincent and Willie Nelson sang a duet together that’ll appear […]
Charlie Lamb Passes Away; Trisha Yearwood’s Cooking Show to Premiere April 14; Real Gone Music to Release Cowboy Copas Collection
On April 17, reissue label Real Gone Music will release Cowboy Copas collection Complete Hit Singles As and Bs. On May 1, Real Gone will release Mel McDaniel’s Baby’s Got Her Blue Jeans On: His Original Capitol Hits and Eddie Rabbitt’s 13 Original #1 Hits. Charlie Lamb passed away yesterday at the age of 90. “When […]
Taylor Swift took home the most hardware (again) last night at the American Music Awards. She won for Favorite Country Female Artist, Favorite Country Album and then took home the night’s biggest prize with the all-genre Favorite Artist. Blake Shelton was Favorite Country Male Artist and Lady Antebellum was Favorite Country Duo/Group. Danny Gokey lost […]
With his new bride prepping a solo album and a Pistol Annies album, Blake Shelton isn’t to be outdone. Late last week, he unveiled his new… uh… duo… with Jimmy Fallon. Blake Shelton is also the new host of the Grand Ole Opry’s new backstage tour experience. “Beginning this week, visitors on the Opry House […]
This week’s Friday Five is inspired by a re-watching of the Keanu Reeves masterpiece Point Break; however, since there are no country songs about a gang of criminal surfers, we’ll just go with the bank robbing aspect. Here are my five favorite songs about bank robbers both real and fictional. Honorable Mention: Ty Herndon’s single […]
Where is Big Kenny? With the recent release of John Rich’s sophomore solo album Son of a Preacher Man, Big Kenny graciously decided to lay low for once and allow his partner Rich to share some of the spotlight. – Jim What does George Strait sing? Cash money, set to music. — Karlie How to […]
First off, Happy New Year to everyone. To start the new year off, we’ve compiled a list of the best songs from 2007. The staff had a lengthy discussion about which songs should be available for nomination for such a list and we decided that a song had to be an original recording on an […]
Who sings on “South Texas Girl” with Lyle Lovett? Accomplished songwriter/performer Guy Clark. What does Keith Urban do for a living? Picks his guitar and sings songs. How did Townes Van Zandt die? Wikipedia says it was “due to a massive pulmonary embolus (blood clot in the lungs) following hip surgery” while The Internet Movie […]
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …