George Jones’ Album Sales Soar; Yearwood, Little Big Town Nominated for Daytime Emmys; Initial Wide Open Bluegrass Lineup Announced
Last night, people began lining up for George Jones’ funeral. The service will air on CMT, GAC, WSM, Opry.com, RFD-TV and Sirius XM at 11 a.m. Eastern. The ACM Awards posted a Jones tribute on YouTube. Nick Ryerson writes about “The Salvation of George Jones” in his new God and Country column. Eddie Stubbs paid tribute […]
ACM Awards Post Biggest Ratings Since 1998; Avett Brothers to Headline Newport Folk Festival; Album Releases
The new Brad Paisley-LL Cool J collaboration, “Accidental Racist,” blew up across the internet yesterday afternoon. Here’s a USA Today interview with Paisley as well (warning: autoplay). Sunday night’s ACM Awards were watched by 15.38 million viewers, the highest ratings these awards have seen since 1998. The Avett Brothers will headline the 2013 Newport Folk Festival. Iris […]
Working in the shadows of Nashville star-making machine are a wealth of unheralded talents who occasionally take brief, fleeting turns in the spotlight. Kim Richey has had a quietly profound impact in country music over the last couple of decades with her vital contributions as a singer-songwriter. Her compositions have been cut by Brooks & […]
It happens every week. Every Wednesday, when I post my variation of “Gone Fishing” on my Facebook page, announcing I am M-I-A because I will be facedown in ABC’s primetime drama, Nashville, the comments start piling up. About how the writing sucks, the plot blows, but especially, how dreadful the music is. I laugh. I’m not watching the […]
Jana Kramer had an airplane scare yesterday. A couple of her tweets: “Terrified out of my mind. Emergency landing back in Miami without landing gear. #pray” “HOLY S**T that was NOT cool at all. Good news though. I’m on the ground. We made it. Thanks for the prayers #shaking” Songwriter Tim Johnson passed away from […]
The change to Billboard’s Hot Country music chart, in which digital sales, web-streamed play and non-country-radio spins will influence chart performance has caused quite the internet flutter. Some takes on the change: Matt Bjorke at Roughstock The Triggerman at Saving Country Music Edward Morris at CMT Kevin John Coyne at Country Universe And now there’s a […]
Rodney Crowell shared some information about his upcoming duets record with Emmylou Harris: “Old Yellow Moon, the Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell duet album produced by Brian Ahern is finally finished. I want to give everybody a heads up to watch for Nonesuch Records official release date which I expect they will announce sometime very soon. […]
We did a Springsteen Friday Five on The 9513 three years ago, but there are so many good covers that it’s time for a second volume. Bonus Track: Trisha Yearwood — “Sad Eyes” Okay, this one made the last Springsteen Friday Five, but it’s so good I’ve got to post it again. Double Bonus […]
Loretta Lynn and Friends to Celebrate Her 50th Opry Anniversary; Miranda Lambert to Executive Produce NBC Show; Stream New Avett Brothers Album
Lee Ann Womack, Pistol Annies, Crystal Gayle, and Trace Adkins are just a few of the artists who will help Loretta Lynn celebrate 50 years as an Opry member on September 25. LeAnn Rimes has entered a treatment facility to cope with “anxiety and stress.” Taylor Swift will receive the Canadian Country Music Association Generation […]
A legion of country music legends and industry professionals expressed their admiration for Country Music Hall of Famer Kitty Wells after her death this week at the age of 92. Rightly heralded as Queen of Country Music, she was a ground-breaking force who challenging authority even as she maintained a traditionally feminine image. No less […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."