Linda Ronstadt revealed in an AARP.org interview that she has Parkinson’s Disease and that it has robbed her of her ability to sing. The terrible Rim Fire near Yosemite has forced the cancellation of the long-running Strawberry Music Festival. (warning: autoplay) Trisha Yearwood confirmed in a television interview that she and Garth Brooks are working […]
Old Crow Medicine Show was invited to join the Grand Ole Opry by Marty Stuart. They’ll be inducted on September 17. Joey + Rory announced on their RFD-TV television show that they will release their next album, Made to Last, in the fall. Thompson Square brought computers to a school in Honduras. Martina McBride is no longer […]
Cowboy Jack Clement Passes Away; Loretta Lynn to Receive Presidential Medal of Freedom; Larry Cordle Duets Album Due in October
The legendary Cowboy Jack Clement passed away from liver cancer yesterday at the age of 82. The New York Times, The Washington Post, The 615, and CMT all published obituaries, but if you only read one, it should be the one Peter Cooper wrote. Barry Mazor wrote about Clement in a January Roots Watch: Jack’s […]
Ricky Skaggs & Sharon White Plan Duets Record; Stream Newport Folk Festival Performances; Album Releases
Lee Ann Womack tackles Paul McCartney’s “Let ‘Em In” for benefit album Let Us In Americana. Guy Clark’s on the cover of the new issue of American Songwriter. Read Marissa R. Moss’ excellent cover story. Jesse McReynolds will headline next month’s Eureka Springs Bluegrass Festival. Overall album sales dropped 4.6 percent in the first half […]
T-Model Ford Passes Away; David Nail, Westbound Rangers Release New Videos; What’s Up with Gibson Banjos?
T-Model Ford passed away yesterday. The influential bluesman was in his 90s and had been battling health issues for several years after suffering a series of strokes in 2010. Listen to a KEXP session Ford recorded in 2008. Emmylou Harris’ “Boulder to Birmingham” and Charlie Louvin’s “Ira” made The A.V. Club’s list of “songs that directly […]
CMHOF to Display Earl Scruggs’ Banjo; JD McPherson & Pokey LaFarge Team Up for Tornado Relief; “Authenticity” in Music
Earl Scruggs’ banjo will become a part of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum’s “Precious Jewels” display next month. The exhibit also includes instruments played by Maybelle Carter, Jimmie Rodgers, Bill Monroe, Hank Williams, and Lester Flatt. Paul Burch and Ron Wynn share memories of Chet Flippo in this new Nashville Scene article. Pokey […]
Trisha Yearwood, Little Big Town Win Daytime Emmys; Michael Cleveland Signs with Compass; Album Releases
Miss Leslie’s next album is coming out August 13. Listen to her new song, “After the Storm,” here. Michael Cleveland has signed with Compass Records. He’s working on an album for release in 2014. (via press release) Trisha Yearwood and Little Big Town took home Daytime Emmy Awards Sunday night. Yearwood won for Outstanding Culinary […]
Toby Keith’s Oklahoma Relief Concert Scheduled for 7/6; Ray Price Hospitalized Again; Farm Aid Heads to Saratoga Springs
Ray Price has been hospitalized again; this time to treat the kidney stones that developed due to the severe dehydration he was hospitalized for not too long ago. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Toby Keith’s Oklahoma Twister Relief Concert will be held July 6 in Norman. Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood, Willie Nelson, and Ronnie […]
Willie Nelson’s CMT Crossroads Episode to Premiere 6/23; Daniel Patrick Joins The Roys; Dolly Parton Remains Excellent
Blake Shelton’s Healing in the Heartland benefit was last night. Here he is singing “Home” with Usher. Nine Bullets premiered Fifth on the Floor’s “January in Louisiana” video. Here’s a very entertaining Todd Snider interview in which he says that he’s thinking about doing three albums this coming year. Andrew Clayman wrote a feature on The […]
George Strait Nets 86th Top 10 Song; Wide Open Bluegrass Lineup Announced; New Trampled By Turtles Video
“Give It All We Got Tonight” is George Strait’s 86th Top 10. Eddy Arnold’s the only one who’s got him beat, with 92 Top 10s. All Things Considered aired an excellent piece on the inspiration behind Lee Brice’s chart-topping single, “I Drive Your Truck.” Two years ago on Memorial Day, Nashville songwriter Connie Harrington was driving […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.