Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Lineup Revealed; Stream New Lucinda Williams, Hal Ketchum Songs; Jim Lauderdale Documentary Due in September
There’s a feature on Mac Wiseman in the new issue of Country Weekly; you can also stream a song from his new album here. Dolly Parton is going to appear on The Foo Fighters’ new HBO series, Sonic Highways, which premieres October 17. Stream the title track to Hal Ketchum’s forthcoming record, I’m the Troubadour. […]
The door definitely remains open for Taylor Swift to return to country music according to radio consulting firm Albright & O’Malley & Brenner’s “admittedly unscientific” poll of of 60 country music station programming executives. Mike O’Malley writes that, “By more than 4:1 the panel hoped that Taylor Swift would cut another country song in the future […]
Trisha Yearwood Gets Back in the Ring; Gillian Welch & David Rawlings Cover Johnny Cash; Dale Watson Stars in New Commercial
Trisha Yearwood announced yesterday evening that she is preparing to release a new album called PrizeFighter through Sony Music Nashville/RCA Records. No word on a release date yet, but I hope it’s soon. Tomorrow works for me. Garth Brooks added another Chicago show, bringing the total to 11. Hardly Strictly Bluegrass has slowly been revealing […]
Fleck-Washburn Album Due in October; Kenny Rogers’ HoF Exhibit Opens; Ruthie Foster Releases New Video
Here are Kacey Musgraves and Katy Perry singing “Keep It to Yourself” in a clip cut from their CMT Crossroads special. Bela Fleck and Abigail Washburn will release a banjoriffic self-titled album on Rounder Records October 7. Listen to one of the songs, “Railroad,” here. If you love yourself, you’ll stream Paul Thorn’s fab new album, Too […]
Lori McKenna will release a ten-song album called Numbered Doors on September 23. Cindy Watts reported in The Tennessean that Johnny Cash’s boyhood home is fully renovated and ready for its grand opening on August 16 in Dyess, Arkansas. Ticketmaster broke when tickets for Garth Brooks’ Atlanta concerts went on sale. We’d like to send some well wishes […]
In last week’s Friday Five about country artists who’ve appeared on police procedurals, I promised you an upcoming installment featuring singers who’ve appeared in legal movies or television shows. A few hours of “research” (which mostly involved sprawling on the couch and staring slack-jawed at various glowing screens) later, here it is. By the way: if you […]
Tommy Ramone, the last surviving original member of The Ramones, passed away on July 11. In recent years, Ramone played in roots duo Uncle Monk. Warner Brothers has re-signed Dwight Yoakam, who’ll release a new album later in the year (one of the songs will be a cover of “Who’ll Stop the Rain”). He’s currently […]
Bob Dylan Releases New Music; IBMA Extends Raleigh Stay; Cumulus and Big Machine Launch “Nash Icons”
IBMA is keeping their annual World of Bluegrass conference and festival in Raleigh through 2018. Hot Rize, The Del McCoury Band, Ricky Skaggs, and The Gibson Brothers are just a few of the acts who’ll perform at the IBMA Wide Open Bluegrass Festival in Raleigh this September; more bands will be announced at a later […]
Stream New Rodney Crowell, Bobby Bare Jr. Albums; Eric Church Announces Tour Dates; Walmart to Cut CD Stock
Stream Rodney Crowell’s fine new album, Tarpaper Sky, before its release next week. Bobby Bare Jr.’s record, Undefeated, is also streaming online. Last week we reported news of Arthur Smith’s passing. Today The New York Times published his obituary. Music City Roots is moving from the Loveless Café Barn to the Factory at Franklin. Trisha Yearwood’s […]
Ralph Stanley Turns 87; Reba, Loretta, and Bobby Bare to Play Johnny Cash Music Fest; New Album Releases
Ralph Stanley (who turns 87 today) celebrated his birthday with a concert last Saturday. Singer Penny DeHaven passed away on Sunday. She was 65. Bluegrass Today reports that Craig Wood, who was arrested for abducting and murdering 10-year old Hailey Owens, was part of the Springfield, Missouri bluegrass scene. Local music store The Acoustic Shoppe is raising funds […]
- luckyoldsun: Leann- I've biked a lot of laps around Central Park over the years. If I thought it would get me to …
- Leeann: No offense to Chely Wright, but while I expect that she will make a good album, asking for $175,000 seems …
- Juli Thanki: Ha! The best way to celebrate Connie Smith Day is by marrying a younger man. Mullet optional.
- nm: But was it Connie Smith Day all day long and then from dusk to dawn?
- Deremy Jylan: I heard that Jim Lauderdale documentary is some super-duper great movie stuff. Makes Scorsese's THE LAST WALTZ look like Wiseau's …
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …