A lifetime spent listening to music has taught me a lot about Saturday night. It is, for example, all right for fighting or going to the movies, not to mention a good night to simultaneously keep dancing to the rock and roll and work on one’s spelling, and those are just the pop songs. Nobody […]
A few interesting notes from a study of country music listeners by the Country Music Association: Roughly two in five American adults ages 18-54 qualify as country music fans. They’re predominantly Caucasian, more often female than male. Forty percent of them make more than $50,000 year. Roughly 5 percent of American adults aged 18-54 qualify […]
The first set of the Palo Duro Records Showcase on Wednesday night featured an acoustic lover’s wet dream with a song swap between Trent Summar, Tommy Alverson, Dallas Wayne, and Buzz Cason. All four artists were in a dapper mood, keeping the moderately sized Waterloo Ice House audience in high spirits. If the term “laidback” […]
The wife of Bobby Bare suffered two cracked vertebrae when a tree fell on their house, slicing it in half. She was watching TV when the tree hit. Luckily she was able to crawl from under the tree and call 911. The new Hayes Carll album is due out April 8th and will be titled […]
Bill Friskics-Warren describes Josh Turner’s Everything Is Fine as flashbacks of Don Williams’ romance and commitment laced material mixed with some heartache and country-soul chops. Carrie Underwood took home three trophies at the American Music Awards while Beyonce wowed the crowd with Sugarland on the “bluegrass” flavored version of “Irreplaceable”. (YouTube) Part 3 of Trent […]
There’s only one country album on Stylus Magazine’s List of the 50 Best Albums of 2007, and it’s Miranda Lambert’s Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, coming in at number two. Yallwire posted the second part to their video interview with Billy Joe Shaver. This time around he sings “Get Thee Behind Me Satan” and gives some insight into […]
Wanting to work where no one would bother them, Gary Allan and songwriters Jim Lauderdale and Odie Blackman visited the jungles of Costa Rica for a week. Peter Cooper has a synopsis of the Country Music Hall of Fame induction ceremony for Ralph Emery, Vince Gill, and Mel Tillis. Asked is he still considers himself […]
Bobby Bare talks about going back to Ohio and talking to people whose aunts and uncles he went to school with, but they’ve all died. He says it’s the sad part about the business he’s in. “All of my friends abused themselves too terribly. But then there’s Shel. He was never heavy into drugs and […]
Ed Crowell over a Austin360 seems to like what he hears and sees in Trent Summar. Images of a blond Elvis in his Louisiana Hayride days, legs spread wide and a red jacket flapping before going down on his knees and shaking off his straw cowboy hat. Jonni Jewell posted mucho pictures of the KHYI […]
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …
- Leeann: I think he generalized way too much, too black and white. He reminded me too much of Ryan Adams, who …