George Jones Released From Hospital; New John Fogerty Album Due This Fall; Stream New Trampled By Turtles Record
George Jones has been released from the hospital after being treated for an upper respiratory infection. Los Angeles Americana music series, The Grand Ole Echo, kicks off its new season April 15. “Before You Leave,” about Mary Gauthier, won Best Short Documentary at the Garden State Film Festival. Here’s the trailer. John Fogerty’s got a [...]
Charlie Lamb Passes Away; Trisha Yearwood’s Cooking Show to Premiere April 14; Real Gone Music to Release Cowboy Copas Collection
On April 17, reissue label Real Gone Music will release Cowboy Copas collection Complete Hit Singles As and Bs. On May 1, Real Gone will release Mel McDaniel’s Baby’s Got Her Blue Jeans On: His Original Capitol Hits and Eddie Rabbitt’s 13 Original #1 Hits. Charlie Lamb passed away yesterday at the age of 90. “When [...]
Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver Honored By Tennessee State Senate; Dixie Chicks Working on New Album; Free Mix From Blue Ridge Outdoors
For fans of Irish music, Compass Records is offering 25% off their Celtic CDs and DVDs until March 17. Martie Maguire says the Dixie Chicks are working on a new album: [t]he Austin-based fiddler and singer confirmed few details, but did allow that the group has co-written “about 40” new songs that they’re currently choosing [...]
Waylon Jennings’ Family Plans To Release His Last Recordings; Bonnaroo Lineup Revealed; Arnold Schultz Honored
Sarah Jarosz, Punch Brothers, Trampled By Turtles, The Avett Brothers, and several other Americana/roots acts are on this year’s Bonnaroo roster. The A.V. Club has an exclusive stream of “In Between Jobs” from Todd Snider’s upcoming album, Agnostic Hymns and Stoner Fables. Pierce Greenberg of Nashville’s City Paper has some more information about the Johnny [...]
Free Music from Lori McKenna, Punch Bros. and the Del McCoury Band; New Justin Townes Earle Album; The Story Behind “Rudolph”
Lori McKenna’s giving away a Christmas song. Del McCoury’s got some free music for you too, with “Moneyland” from the 2008 album of the same name. Download “Movement and Location” from the Punch Brothers’ upcoming album Who’s Feeling Young Now, due out February 14. Justin Townes Earle’s fourth full-length record, Nothing’s Gonna Change the Way [...]
Willie Nelson Plans New Album; Free Trampled By Turtles Download; Dry Branch Fire Squad Celebrates 35 Years
The Soggy Bottom Boys and Tim Blake Nelson have made a music video for “In the Jailhouse Now” to celebrate the 10th anniversary of O Brother. Willie Nelson told CelebStoner.com that he plans on releasing a record called Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die in January 2012. Nashville bass player Chris Kent [...]
- Jon: Well, that's just gibberish. When Nelson Eddy and Jeanette McDonald sang on the silver screen, they were the artists ...
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for straightening me out LuckyOlSunbody. "Given credit as the 'artist" by who? Take it up with the Screen Actors ...
- Luckyoldsun: Barry: As far as the comparison to movies: The person who's given credit as the "artist" of a movie is the director--not ...
- Jon: I've got to say, I think "Lots More Blues, Rags, and Hollers" was a better record.
- Janice Brooks: As for new releases, I love the new Don Rigsby and Mike Scott. Will also dig up a cut of ...
- Barry Mazor: Look, one sort of music reporting/reviewing I like to do best is reporting on live performance, the interaction with the ...
- nm: That's probably why I generally don't watch music on a screen in my home, except for films of live shows. ...
- Jon: If you are watching music on a screen in your home, you're not going out to a show, are you? ...
- nm: I don't think the problem with lip-synching (for me as a member of the audience at a live event) is ...
- Jon: I've played for some audiences I'd have liked to have sued!