Loretta Lynn signed a multi-album deal with Legacy Recordings. The first album is slated for release in 2015. Lynn has been working with daughter Patsy L. Russell and John Carter Cash at the Cash Cabin Studio “on a project that travels back and explores Loretta’s musical history, from the Appalachian folk songs and gospel music […]
Trampled By Turtles Cover Yes; Bob Seger, Jason Aldean to Tape CMT Crossroads; Kasey Chambers Postpones Tour
Trampled By Turtles covered “Owner of a Lonely Heart” by Yes for The A.V. Club’s Undercover series. (warning: autoplay) Rob Ickes and Trey Hensley discuss their forthcoming album, Before the Sun Goes Down, in this Bluegrass Today video. The Lone Bellow will release sophomore album Then Came the Morning on January 7. Here’s the new […]
Stuart Duncan Named CMHOF Nashville Cat; Aubrey Preston Reveals Plans for RCA Studio A; Lone Bellow Debut New Song
On November 1, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will celebrate Stuart Duncan as part of its “Nashville Cats” series. The event will be live-streamed on the HOF website. Zac Brown Band will release a greatest hits album on November 10. (via press release) Luke Bryan will participate in a Reddit “Ask Me […]
Jim Ed Brown Diagnosed with Lung Cancer; Glen Campbell Sued Over Documentary; Holly Williams Welcomes Daughter
Jim Ed Brown revealed in a video he posted on his Facebook page that he has been diagnosed with lung cancer. Doctors have asked him to take a four-month break from the road in order to focus on chemo and radiation treatments. (warning: autoplay) Glen Campbell’s getting sued over I’ll Be Me, the documentary about […]
Country’s Night to Rock Ratings Drop; Upstate New York Bluegrass Scene Flourishes; Willie’s Braids Up for Auction
Chris Stapleton played “When the Stars Come Out” for Yahoo’s Ram Country. (warning: autoplay) Barry Mazor wrote a fine column for The Wall Street Journal about the Music Maker Relief Foundation, which turns 20 this year. The Mavericks have finished recording a new album; it’ll be released next year on Big Machine. Paste photographers spent a […]
Fundraising Stalls for Grandpa Jones Historical Marker; Seeger Fest Begins Tomorrow; Drew Kennedy to Release Live Album
Fundraising attempts to put up a historical marker at Grandpa Jones’ Kentucky birthplace have stalled. So far only $700 has been raised, but the project will cost $2,500. Dolly Parton would like to make a LGBT dance record. There’s a LeAnn Rimes dance record due out out in August, featuring remixes of songs she’s recorded […]
Garth Brooks is back, and holding a press conference on Thursday at noon to announce whatever it is that he’s got planned. (warning: autoplay) Brooks’ upcoming Ireland tour may be in jeopardy after officials only granted licenses for three of the planned five shows. Kenny Loggins made the announcement that he and the rest of […]
Paul Thorn’s next album, Too Blessed to be Stressed, is due out August 19. Here’s the new video for his song “Everybody Needs Somebody.” In an interview for CelebStoner.com (yeah, you probably shouldn’t click that if you’re at work), Willie Nelson revealed that he and Kacey Musgraves are “going to do some recording together.” Nelson’s […]
Guitarist James Alan Shelton (one of Ralph Stanley’s Clinch Mountain Boys) passed away yesterday after a short battle with cancer. Peter Cooper (Tennessean), Robert K. Oermann (MusicRow) Chuck Dauphin (Billboard), and Edd Hurt (Nashville Scene) penned obituaries for steel guitar great Weldon Myrick. Yesterday NPR took a look at Bobbie Gentry’s classic “Ode to Billie Joe.” Kelly Dearmore […]
Stuart, Shaver Plan Album Releases; John Fahey Biography Due in June; Trampled By Turtles Debut New Song
Billy Joe Shaver will release Long in the Tooth on Lightning Rod Records August 5. Give a listen to “Hard to be an Outlaw,” Shaver’s new duet with Willie Nelson, here. On September 30, Marty Stuart is going to release the double album Saturday Night & Sunday Morning. As the title suggests, one disc will […]
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...
- Jim Z: Dirty River Boys are from El Paso, Texas.