Music journalist Patsi Bale Cox passed away at the age of 66. She was credited with books on Loretta Lynn, Wynonna Judd, Ralph Emery, George Jones and more. A benefit concert being held by George Jones will fund the construction of a memorial in honor of country music star Tammy Wynette in Mississippi. It will […]
Tipping the scales at over 400 pounds, Big Vinny Hickerson of Trailer Choir will be starring in the next season of The Biggest Loser. The season kicks off on September 20th. Rockabilly Hall of Fame inductee B. Jeff Stone passed away Friday at the age of 75. Stone worked with Marty Robbins, Willie Nelson and […]
Del McCoury Band Teams Up with Preservation Hall Jazz Band; Pickup Lines In Country Music; Ralph Stanley Video Liner
The Del McCoury Band is teaming up with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band for a new album and tour. (via @jonweisberger) NashvilleGab highlighted a comment made by entertainment reporter Jimmy Carter about all of Miranda Lambert‘s nominations: Entertainment reporter, Jimmy Carter tells WKKT that an inside source told him that Miranda Lambert got 7 noms […]
Trailer Choir Downgrades; Carrie Rodriguez Releases Country Duets Project; Amos Lee Tops Album Chart
From trio to duo: Crystal Hoyt is leaving Trailer Choir to pursue other interests. In my haste yesterday, I forgot to mention the release of Carrie Rodriguez‘ country duet record with Ben Kyle, We Still Love Our Country. Stream the songs on her website and if you like what you hear, choose a download price […]
The fourth Love & War Lifetime Achievement Award — nicknamed the ‘Rusty’ in honor of its first recipient, Texas music legend Rusty Wier — will be given to Billy Joe Shaver on Nov. 17. Actress Gwyneth Paltrow is scheduled to perform “Country Strong,” the title song from her upcoming movie, at next month’s CMA Awards. […]
Merle Haggard Named Kennedy Center Honoree; Alan Jackson Celebrates Career with Release of ’34 Number Ones’
Stop the presses: Merle Haggard is one of the five 2010 Kennedy Center honorees for his “lifetime contributions to American culture through the performing arts.” The annual Honors Gala is scheduled to take place Dec. 5 and later broadcast on CBS on Dec. 28. Joey+Rory‘s Album Number Two can be streamed a week early on […]
Charlie Louvin will turn 83 tomorrow (July 7), but of more pressing concern to the country legend is the recent diagnosis from his doctor–stage 2 pancreatic cancer. He’ll have to go in for a six-hour surgery on July 22, but hopes to be performing a month later. New releases for the week of July 6, […]
Concord Music Group Acquires Rounder Records; Trailer Choir, Emily West, and Corb Lund Introduce New Videos
The California-based, independent label Concord Music Group acquired Rounder Records and its collection of over 3,000 master recordings. In a Q&A with Rita Ballou (whose blog Rawhide & Velvet has more drama than daytime television), Charla Corn revealed that Casey Donahew booted her from a gig because she’s a she. CMT has new videos for […]
How hard is it to get mosh seats at the CMT Awards? Getting the seats is easy. Moshing to Lady Antebellum is hard. — Stephen I think you’re thinking of the wrong type of award show. Wait, wait. No, you’re right. — Karlie Mosh seats? If that’s your expectation, I’d recommend against even trying. — […]
Three friends named Butter, Big Vinny and Crystal sounds like a team of crime-fighting mice from a mid-‘80s Saturday morning cartoon, but together they are, in fact, Trailer Choir. Up until now, the band is best known for its song, “Rockin’ The Beer Gut,” and the fact that Big Vinny–a 400-plus pound former Sonic manager […]
- Mike W: Really liking the new Ryan Bingham song, his last album really didnt do much for me, but this new song …
- nm: Oh, the old Sutler. The first time I visited Nashville, I went to a New Year's Eve show there: Lonesome …
- Tom: ...another "favorite child question". then again, what would the genre be without all the drama it's got to deal with. …
- luckyoldsun: Dwight's had so many great songs. From memory, I'd have to name "Bakersfield" with Buck Owens, "Guitars, Cadillacs," "Nothing" and …
- Scooter: Thanks Jonathon. Downloaded "Last Chance for a thousand years" and love it. Was unaware of that album.
- Donald: The correct answer is of course, "Bury Me."
- Leeann Ward: As far as I know, I have all of Dwight's albums. It's truly impossible to choose a favorite song, but …
- Michael: I wonder if Kasey Chambers will be visiting Dr. Gwen Korovin for treatment of her vocal cords...
- Dave D.: Just about any song off of Dwight's first three albums would qualify as a favorite; forced to pick one I'd …
- Jack Williams: No. Not Owner of a Lonely Heart. I was hoping for better when I saw the article title …