Tommy Ramone, the last surviving original member of The Ramones, passed away on July 11. In recent years, Ramone played in roots duo Uncle Monk. Warner Brothers has re-signed Dwight Yoakam, who’ll release a new album later in the year (one of the songs will be a cover of “Who’ll Stop the Rain”). He’s currently […]
If there were ever a walking, talking, country song, Johnny Paycheck just might have been it. Jail, drinking, money problems and rabble-rousing weren’t just song topics, they were a way of life for Donald Eugene Lytle, born on this day back in 1938. Happy birthday to Johnny–who would have been 75 today had he not […]
Country Stars Remember Kitty Wells; New Little Big Town Album Due in September; Punch Brothers Announce New Tour Dates
Loretta Lynn, Barbara Mandrell, Dolly Parton, and Lee Ann Womack all made statements about Kitty Wells’ passing. Janis Martin’s final album, The Blanco Sessions, will be released on September 18. The album, produced by Rosie Flores and Bobby Trimble, was funded through Kickstarter. (via press release) Punch Brothers announced a bunch of new North American […]
Here’s 20 of country music’s best hotel and motel songs. Apologies for excluding Neal McCoy’s “Hillbilly Rap.” Honorable Mentions: Cadillac Sky – “Motel Morning” David Houston – “No Tell Motel” Eagles – “Hotel California” Gene Watson – “Love in the Hot Afternoon” Guy Clark – “Lone Star Hotel” Jack Ingram & Jerry Jeff Walker – […]
The film Noble Things, featuring Lee Ann Womack and Tracy Byrd in their big screen debuts, will be released on DVD December 22. Feeling Austin was underrepresented on most of the decade lists cropping up, Jim Caligiuri took the liberty of chronologically listing 33 albums released by bands and artists that made living in the […]
‘Noble Things’ Now Playing in Select Theaters; Blake Shelton’s ‘Hillbilly Bone'; Augie Meyers Profiled
Noble Things, a movie featuring Lee Ann Womack and Tracy Byrd in their big screen debuts, opens in a limited number of theaters today. Read Pierce Greenberg’s review of the film. Watch the video premiere of Blake Shelton‘s “Hillbilly Bone” featuring Trace Adkins. Ralph Emery has been on radio and television for the past 58 […]
BluegrassJournal.com posted a list of the winners from last night’s IBMA Awards where Dailey & Vincent, Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper, Dan Tyminski, and Dale Ann Bradley were among the big award winners. And Peter Cooper has a recap of the awards show and performances. And The Bluegrass Blog has pictures. And…I got nothin’ else. This […]
The life of Hank Williams first went to the big screen in 1964 with Your Cheatin’ Heart, but Nashville-based 821 Entertainment Group and Strike Entertainment have teamed up to create a new feature film. Strike Entertainment partner Marc Abraham will write the script using Colin Escott’s book Hank Williams: The Biography as a resource. Escott […]
Okay, so Brad Paisley had a little more life in him than a one-week run at the top. He soared to #1 of this week’s Top Artist chart with 29 listeners, and the only person that was even close was George Strait at #2 with 28. If those two were the New York Yankees and […]
Country music has had its fair share of film adaptations, most of which either focus on hokey stereotypes or highlight the music at the expense of character. Noble Things, which made its Music City premiere last weekend at the Nashville Film Festival, follows the story of a country music wash-up by the name of Jimmy […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.