CMT Names Artists of the Year; Keith Urban Receives Nashville Symphony Harmony Award; New Music Videos
Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Kenny Chesney, Eric Church, Toby Keith, Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood were named as 2012 CMT Artists of the Year. Rolling Stone announced their top country albums of 2012 and Kellie Pickler was at the top of the list: “American Idol also-ran Pickler is an unlikely trad-country heroine. But 100 Proof may […]
Pistol Annies Return to Studio; Unreleased Townes Van Zandt Recordings Due in February; Album Releases
The Mavericks will release their next album, In Time, on January 29. Sunshine Boy: The Unheard Studio Sessions and Demos 1971-1972, a two-disc collection of unreleased Townes Van Zandt material, will be released on Omnivore Recordings 2/5. The 28-song release will also feature liner notes written by Colin Escott. Drew Kennedy launched a Kickstarter campaign […]
Kathy Mattea – “Hello, My Name is Coal” Faith Hill – “American Heart” Wanda Jackson & Justin Townes Earle – “Am I Even a Memory” Joey + Rory – “Josephine” Dustin Lynch – “She Cranks My Tractor” Eli Young Band – “Say Goodnight” Aaron Lewis – “Forever” Thomas Rhett – “Beer with Jesus” Kelleigh Bannen – […]
The change to Billboard’s Hot Country music chart, in which digital sales, web-streamed play and non-country-radio spins will influence chart performance has caused quite the internet flutter. Some takes on the change: Matt Bjorke at Roughstock The Triggerman at Saving Country Music Edward Morris at CMT Kevin John Coyne at Country Universe And now there’s a […]
Loretta Lynn and Friends to Celebrate Her 50th Opry Anniversary; Miranda Lambert to Executive Produce NBC Show; Stream New Avett Brothers Album
Lee Ann Womack, Pistol Annies, Crystal Gayle, and Trace Adkins are just a few of the artists who will help Loretta Lynn celebrate 50 years as an Opry member on September 25. LeAnn Rimes has entered a treatment facility to cope with “anxiety and stress.” Taylor Swift will receive the Canadian Country Music Association Generation […]
Toby Keith’s New Album Due in November; Stream Holy Ghost Tent Revival; Download Free Charlie Peacock Sampler
Trace Adkins and Kristin Chenoweth will once again host the American Country Awards, which will be held in Vegas this December. Toby Keith will release a new album, Hope on the Rocks, November 13. From the Fort Worth Star-Telegram: “Has country singer hero Randy Travis fallen?” NoiseTrade is offering a Charlie Peacock sampler for download. If you’ve […]
Jake Owen is releasing an EP called Summer Jam soon: “I wanted to put out on iTunes three or four tunes that all my friends out on the lake can put on their boat and crank it up.” Ever wonder why we’re drawn to country music? “Titled Cheatin’ Hearts and Loaded Guns, the Review of […]
CMT Awards Performers Announced; Rosanne Cash Narrates BBC Radio Program About Bobbie Gentry; Album Releases
Stream Willie Nelson’s new album, Heroes and the collection Jail House Bound: John Lomax’s First Southern Prison Recordings, 1933. The Infamous Stringdusters have announced the lineup for their shindig, The Festy. This year’s performers will include Trampled By Turtles, Della Mae, Tony Trischka Territory, The Steel Wheels, and more. Tickets for The Festy, which will […]
On July 10, the Zac Brown Band will release their new album, Uncaged. Trombone Shorty guests on one of the songs. Levon Helm’s friends and fans can pay their respects at his Woodstock studio tomorrow between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. The Crooked Road Music Heritage Trail in Southwest Virginia is hosting a contest in […]
Kathy Mattea Signs with Sugar Hill; Herby Wallace Passes Away; ACM Awards Will Celebrate 50th Anniversary at Cowboys Stadium
Kathy Mattea has signed with Sugar Hill Records. Album Calling Me Home will be released later this year. Irish folk musician Barney McKenna of Dubliners passed away on Thursday. Pedal steel player Herby Wallace also passed away. He toured with Donna Fargo, Nat Stuckey, and Jody Miller, to name a few, and recorded with Alabama […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."