Cal Smith, Jim Shumate Pass Away; Tony Brown Charged with Domestic Assault; Randy Travis Expected to Return Home
Cal Smith passed away yesterday at the age of 81. Bluegrass fiddler and former Blue Grass Boy Jim Shumate has passed away. He was 91. Tony Brown has been arrested and charged with domestic assault “resulting in bodily injury this week related to an alleged dispute that Belle Meade Police were called to in September.” […]
Americana Music Awards Nominees Announced; Third Man to Reissue Sun Records Singles; BBC Radio 4 Broadcast Gets Yodel-Bombed
Shovels & Rope earned four Americana Music Awards nominations yesterday afternoon. Buddy Miller and Emmylou Harris got three each. Read the full list here; the winners will be announced September 18 at the Americana Awards and Honors Ceremony, which will be hosted by Jim Lauderdale. Willie Nelson has donated more than $120,000 to relief efforts following […]
If you weren’t fortunate enough to catch one of three recent screenings in Nashville, Los Angeles, and Sydney, Australia, you missed one of the most engaging music documentaries of the last few years, The King of Broken Hearts. Directed, edited, and co-produced by Sydney-based filmmaker Jeremy Dylan, King traces the path of Jim Lauderdale’s career and shadows […]
Stream Songs from Van Zandt, Willis & Robison; The Band Perry & Dierks Bentley to Pay Tribute to Johnny Cash; Peter Rowan Goes Old School
Listen to a track from the upcoming Townes Van Zandt collection Sunshine Boy: The Unheard Studio Sessions & Demos 1971-1972. Paste has a stream of “Drinking Coke and Eating Ice,” a cut from Drive-By Trucker Mike Cooley’s new solo record, The Fool on Every Corner, which drops December 11. Here’s an hour-long BBC documentary called The Joy […]
Lee Ann Womack Splits with Universal Music Group; Sugarland Stage Collapse Victims Agree to Settlement; New Music Videos
The trailer for the upcoming Brad Pitt movie Killing Them Softly features Johnny Cash’s “The Man Comes Around.” Lee Ann Womack and Universal Music Group have parted ways. Garth Brooks has been added to the Teachers Rock benefit concert, which will be televised by CBS on 8/17. Stealing Angels’ Tayla Lynn welcomed a baby into […]
Songwriters: Luke Laird, Hillary Lindsey and Hillary Scott Sara Evans’ last studio album, 2005′s Real Fine Place, seemed to be the final push to plant her firmly among the superstar females in the genre. After its release, she was named ACM Top Female Vocalist for the first time and landed a high-profile gig on ABC’s […]
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …