Bluegrass Broadcaster Ray Davis Retires After 65-Year Career; Alan Jackson to Play MerleFest 2014; Album Releases
Chris Young will appear on The Ellen DeGeneres Show October 2 to sing “Aw Naw.” (via press release) Here’s a fine piece on Bob McDill that J. Clayton L. Jones wrote for American Songwriter. You, Person of Superlative Musical Tastes, probably have no need to find a place to start with Merle Haggard. But if […]
Rockabilly artist Nick Curran passed away at the age of 35 after a battle with oral cancer. The Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Dinner and Induction Ceremony was held on Sunday night. Honorees included Mary Chapin Carpenter, Tony Arata, Larry Henley, and Kim Williams. Edward Morris recapped the event for CMT. Kellie Pickler signed with […]
Willie Nelson Hospitalized; Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Names Four Inductees; New Music Videos
Willie Nelson canceled last night’s show in Denver and was hospitalized after suffering breathing problems due to the altitude and emphysema, KVET reports. He’s apparently doing better and planning to head back to Texas today. Tony Arata, Kim Williams, Mary Chapin Carpenter, and Larry Henley will be inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame […]
This year’s nominees for induction into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame include Gretchen Peters, Tony Arata, Robert Byrne, and Beth Nielsen Chapman. Read the entire list of nominees here. David Nail will release a three song EP called 1979 on July 17. It will include his cover of Adele’s “Someone Like You.” WAMU’s Bluegrass […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."