Real Gone to Release Bob Wills’ Tiffany Transcriptions; Secret Sisters’ Sophomore Album Due in April; Crazy Hearts: Nashville Canceled
On April 29, Real Gone Music will release the two-CD set Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys: Riding Your Way – The Lost Transcriptions for Tiffany Music, 1946-47. The label will also release a limited edition Wills LP on red vinyl for Record Store Day. Don Williams: “I’ve never cut a single. I don’t believe […]
Willie Watson to Release Solo Album; All for the Hall Nets $100K; New West/Normaltown Offer NoiseTrade Sampler
Sean Potts, one of the founding members of The Chieftains, passed away last month. He was 83. Willie Watson will release his solo debut, Folk Singer, Vol. 1, May 6. The record, which includes versions of songs like “Stewball” and “James Alley Blues,” was produced by David Rawlings. (via press release) Here’s a neat article […]
Dean Dillon to Receive BMI Icon Award; Musicians Hall of Fame Announces 2014 Inductees; Album Releases
The Kickstarter page for Suzy Bogguss’ album of Merle Haggard songs features a six-minute sampler that sounds mighty fine. Dean Dillon will be honored with the BMI Icon Award tonight. Here’s a fine interview he did for American Songwriter. Read Barry Mazor’s Wall Street Journal article on the CMA Awards and how they got that […]
I’m out there in the audience a lot, and, for me, the ideal performance situation is a relatively intimate one in which it’s possible to pick up on what the singer or instrumentalist is doing up there, even feeling up there, right now. For me, that adds even more dimensions to the sense of truly […]
All for the Hall Benefit Raises $650K; Steve Earle Box Set Due in June; Steve Martin & Edie Brickell Play Letterman
Last week’s “All for the Hall” benefit concert raised nearly $650,000, bring the event’s four-year total to more than $2 million. (via press release) Songwriter Tom Douglas (“The House That Built Me,” “Grown Men Don’t Cry”) is the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum’s newest “Poet and Prophet.” He’ll do an interview and performance […]
HoF to Open Reba Exhibit in August; Slaid Cleaves’ New Album Drops 6/4; Sugar Hill Announces Record Store Day Releases
A new Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum exhibit, Reba: All the Women I Am, will open August 9, 2013 and run through June 8, 2014. Slaid Cleaves’ next album, Still Fighting the War, will be released June 4. (via press release) The Independent Music Awards nominees were announced. Here are the nominees in […]
Rosie Flores kicks out the jams on the opening lick of her energetic new album and never lets up until last note of the final track. One of the hardest working guitarists in roots music, Flores cranks up her Fender, her fingers nimbly flying over and around blues bars, country chords, and rock riffs. She delivers […]
Frances Preston Passes Away; CMA Music Festival Sets Attendance Record; New York Banjo Summit Touring This Fall
Frances Preston, “the most influential music executive of her generation,” passed away yesterday at the age of 83. The Country Music Hall of Famer began her noteworthy career in the 1950s as a mail messenger at BMI, a job which included answering Hank Williams’ fan mail. Fabulous Superlative Harry Stinson shared his behind-the-scenes photos from […]
Keeping up with the sheer volume of new releases that might be of interest to people reading this column is always a challenge, practically impossible, and while I don’t plan to do it often, I figure that one way to play some catch-up here is just to line up some brief comments on recent releases […]
If you’re fundamentally or primarily a fan of country music, or Americana, or bluegrass, as many reading these words will be, you might well not be familiar with the name “Janiva Magness.” (For one thing, her first name’s pronounced JAN-i-vah, more like “Canada” than “Geneva.”) This, separate genre worlds being what they are, despite the […]
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …