Real Gone to Release Bob Wills’ Tiffany Transcriptions; Secret Sisters’ Sophomore Album Due in April; Crazy Hearts: Nashville Canceled
On April 29, Real Gone Music will release the two-CD set Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys: Riding Your Way – The Lost Transcriptions for Tiffany Music, 1946-47. The label will also release a limited edition Wills LP on red vinyl for Record Store Day. Don Williams: “I’ve never cut a single. I don’t believe […]
Willie Watson to Release Solo Album; All for the Hall Nets $100K; New West/Normaltown Offer NoiseTrade Sampler
Sean Potts, one of the founding members of The Chieftains, passed away last month. He was 83. Willie Watson will release his solo debut, Folk Singer, Vol. 1, May 6. The record, which includes versions of songs like “Stewball” and “James Alley Blues,” was produced by David Rawlings. (via press release) Here’s a neat article […]
Dean Dillon to Receive BMI Icon Award; Musicians Hall of Fame Announces 2014 Inductees; Album Releases
The Kickstarter page for Suzy Bogguss’ album of Merle Haggard songs features a six-minute sampler that sounds mighty fine. Dean Dillon will be honored with the BMI Icon Award tonight. Here’s a fine interview he did for American Songwriter. Read Barry Mazor’s Wall Street Journal article on the CMA Awards and how they got that […]
I’m out there in the audience a lot, and, for me, the ideal performance situation is a relatively intimate one in which it’s possible to pick up on what the singer or instrumentalist is doing up there, even feeling up there, right now. For me, that adds even more dimensions to the sense of truly […]
All for the Hall Benefit Raises $650K; Steve Earle Box Set Due in June; Steve Martin & Edie Brickell Play Letterman
Last week’s “All for the Hall” benefit concert raised nearly $650,000, bring the event’s four-year total to more than $2 million. (via press release) Songwriter Tom Douglas (“The House That Built Me,” “Grown Men Don’t Cry”) is the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum’s newest “Poet and Prophet.” He’ll do an interview and performance […]
HoF to Open Reba Exhibit in August; Slaid Cleaves’ New Album Drops 6/4; Sugar Hill Announces Record Store Day Releases
A new Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum exhibit, Reba: All the Women I Am, will open August 9, 2013 and run through June 8, 2014. Slaid Cleaves’ next album, Still Fighting the War, will be released June 4. (via press release) The Independent Music Awards nominees were announced. Here are the nominees in […]
Rosie Flores kicks out the jams on the opening lick of her energetic new album and never lets up until last note of the final track. One of the hardest working guitarists in roots music, Flores cranks up her Fender, her fingers nimbly flying over and around blues bars, country chords, and rock riffs. She delivers […]
Frances Preston Passes Away; CMA Music Festival Sets Attendance Record; New York Banjo Summit Touring This Fall
Frances Preston, “the most influential music executive of her generation,” passed away yesterday at the age of 83. The Country Music Hall of Famer began her noteworthy career in the 1950s as a mail messenger at BMI, a job which included answering Hank Williams’ fan mail. Fabulous Superlative Harry Stinson shared his behind-the-scenes photos from […]
Keeping up with the sheer volume of new releases that might be of interest to people reading this column is always a challenge, practically impossible, and while I don’t plan to do it often, I figure that one way to play some catch-up here is just to line up some brief comments on recent releases […]
If you’re fundamentally or primarily a fan of country music, or Americana, or bluegrass, as many reading these words will be, you might well not be familiar with the name “Janiva Magness.” (For one thing, her first name’s pronounced JAN-i-vah, more like “Canada” than “Geneva.”) This, separate genre worlds being what they are, despite the […]
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."