Womack & Douglas to Host IBMA Awards; Nashville Songwriters HoF Announces Inductees; Concord Acquires Vee-Jay Catalog
Lee Ann Womack and Jerry Douglas will cohost this year’s IBMA Awards in Raleigh on October 2. Loretta Lynn, Taj Mahal, Flaco Jimenez, and Jackson Browne will be honored with Lifetime Achievement Awards at the Americana Music Association Honors and Awards in Nashville this September. Gretchen Peters, Tom Douglas, John Anderson, and Paul Craft are […]
CMHOF to Spotlight Crystal Gayle; Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Announces 2014 Nominees; Wayne Hancock Recovering from Motorcycle Accident
The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will open a spotlight exhibit focused on Crystal Gayle May 2. The exhibit will run through November 3. (via press release) Wayne Hancock is recovering from a motorcycle accident last weekend that left him with a collapsed lung and fractured elbow. He’s still hospitalized and his May […]
All for the Hall Benefit Raises $650K; Steve Earle Box Set Due in June; Steve Martin & Edie Brickell Play Letterman
Last week’s “All for the Hall” benefit concert raised nearly $650,000, bring the event’s four-year total to more than $2 million. (via press release) Songwriter Tom Douglas (“The House That Built Me,” “Grown Men Don’t Cry”) is the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum’s newest “Poet and Prophet.” He’ll do an interview and performance […]
Singer/songwriter Lori McKenna likes to think of herself as a housewife first. Married to her husband for 22 years (she has known him since third grade), mother of five children, and life-long citizen of small town Stoughton, Massachusetts, she takes pride in her home and family more than anything else. At age 27, she began […]
Reba McEntire opened 2010 with the first No. 1 single and she’ll close the year with the last as well. Despite Julianne Hough‘s claims to the contrary, CMT did not ban her latest video for being too provocative. [...] the reason the network is shying away from the video is because of contract negotiation problems, […]
The lack of dramatics on today’s playlists have threatened to turn country radio into a complete yawn. Enter, stage left: one of the genre’s most talented ambassadors, Reba McEntire, who can deliver a masterful vocal performance like few others in the format. With a stunning string of 59 Top 10 singles, McEntire’s astonishing consistency is […]
‘American Idol’ Targets Shania; Reba Announces New Album; Jamey Johnson Talks About ‘The Guitar Song’
A source with apparent knowledge of the search for new American Idol judges named Shania Twain as a possible candidate. Austin Music Source’s John T. Davis recapped night one and night two of Butch Hancock‘s five-night No Two More Alike concert series at the Cactus Cafe. Hancock, like his songs, looked more or less ageless, […]
Come this fall, the original Sugarland trio will have a reunion of sorts, only it’ll be in the courtroom. Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush will square off against Kristen Hall in a lawsuit that the latter filed claiming that she is owed more than $1.5 million. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s Bill Rankin has more details, including […]
Alabama HoF Honors Jamey Johnson; Drew Kennedy Bucks Trend, Releases Album On Thursday; Cash, Parton, & Jones Reissues
The Alabama Music Hall of Fame announced its latest class of inductees, but it’s hard to tell who is actually being inducted and who is simply receiving an award. Either way, Jamey Johnson will be honored with the Alabama’s Rising Star award and Mac McAnally will receive the Arthur Alexander Songwriter’s award. Ninebullets.net: I am […]
In country music, home is where the hits are. Small town living is the go-to topic for Music Row writers looking for a cheap hook. In the rural utopia they‘ve invented for today’s country radio, a few hard-and-fast rules apply: Saturday nights are spent in a hell-raisin’, hard-drinkin’ fury; Sunday mornings are saved by amazing […]
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …