The Band of Heathens will release their fourth album, Sunday Morning Record, on September 17. Listen to the first single here. Fiddlin’ Dwight Moody (The Virginia Playboys, WBT Briarhoppers) passed away on Friday at the age of 83. Todd Snider announced a fall solo tour. Rhonda Vincent and Willie Nelson sang a duet together that’ll appear […]
Ralph Stanley Announces Farewell Tour; Birthplace of Country Music Museum Names Director; Free Ashleigh Flynn Download
Ralph Stanley has announced that he’ll begin his final tour this October. The “Man of Constant Sorrow Tour: The Doctor’s Farewell” is scheduled to run through December 2014. (via press release) Jewly Hight visited Nashville’s Woodlawn Cemetery, where George Jones, Boudleaux and Felice Bryant, Tammy Wynette, Marty Robbins, Porter Wagoner, and many, many more are […]
On the title track of her new album, “Blaze of Glory,” Marshall Chapman acknowledges that she “never intended to make it this far/never had a fall-back plan/I always thought I’d go out in a blaze of glory.” And, while she’s had plenty of opportunities to burn out over the years—including the time during her early […]
Toby Keith’s Oklahoma Relief Concert Scheduled for 7/6; Ray Price Hospitalized Again; Farm Aid Heads to Saratoga Springs
Ray Price has been hospitalized again; this time to treat the kidney stones that developed due to the severe dehydration he was hospitalized for not too long ago. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Toby Keith’s Oklahoma Twister Relief Concert will be held July 6 in Norman. Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood, Willie Nelson, and Ronnie […]
Willie Nelson’s CMT Crossroads Episode to Premiere 6/23; Daniel Patrick Joins The Roys; Dolly Parton Remains Excellent
Blake Shelton’s Healing in the Heartland benefit was last night. Here he is singing “Home” with Usher. Nine Bullets premiered Fifth on the Floor’s “January in Louisiana” video. Here’s a very entertaining Todd Snider interview in which he says that he’s thinking about doing three albums this coming year. Andrew Clayman wrote a feature on The […]
Carrie Underwood to Sing Sunday Night Football Theme; Stream New McKenna, Bhiman Albums; Who is the Greatest Living Country Singer?
Carrie Underwood is replacing Faith Hill on Sunday Night Football. Elizabeth Cook and Todd Snider are on the cover of The East Nashvillian. You can download the entire issue here. John Murph of The Atlantic posted a transcript of his interesting conversation with Wulf Muller and Chuck Mitchell about the revamped OKeh Records label. Hellbound […]
JD Souther Named to Songwriters Hall of Fame; Cleotha Staples Passes Away; Jason Isbell & Amanda Shires Wed
Cleotha Staples, one of The Staple Singers, passed away at 78. JD Souther was elected to the Songwriters Hall of Fame and will be inducted in a ceremony later this year. Steve Dougherty interviewed and profiled Buddy Miller for the Wall Street Journal. Discussing the heart attack he had onstage in 2009, Miller said, “I […]
Eddie Stubbs Marks 30 Years in Broadcasting; Richard Thompson, Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell Announce Tour Dates; Stream Carrie Rodriguez’s New Record
George Strait kicks off his The Cowboy Rides Away Tour this Friday in Lubbock. There’s a Holly Williams EP available on NoiseTrade. Iris DeMent, Kelly Hogan, Taylor Swift, and Todd Snider are a few of the acts whose albums were in the Top 50 of the Village Voice Pazz & Jop Critics Poll. Jewly Hight […]
Stream Rhonda Vincent’s New Album; Kellie Pickler and Luke Bryan to Sing at All-Star Game; Zac Brown Band Gets Animated
Mike Judge (King of the Hill, Beavis and Butthead) directed the new, animated Zac Brown Band video for their single “The Wind.” Kix Brooks’ New to This Town will be released on September 11. Stream Rhonda Vincent & The Rage’s Sunday Mornin’ Singin’ Live before its release next week. Kye Fleming (“Smoky Mountain Rain,” “I […]
Stream AMA Award Nominees Announcement; New Music From Reverend Peyton’s Big Damn Band; Miranda Lambert in Parade
Jeffrey Brown and WAMU Bluegrass Country’s Katy Daley discussed Doc Watson on last night’s PBS NewsHour. Tim Stafford and Andy Falco shared their memories of Doc. Ken Landreth posted several live recordings of Doc at Bill Monroe’s Bean Blossom festival in 1969 and 1971. There’s an interesting article in The Atlantic about the history of headphones. An […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.