Barry Gibb made his Grand Ole Opry debut this past Friday night. “I have dreamed of performing on the hallowed stage of the Opry since I was 12 years old. So this is a dream come true for me,” Gibb was quoted as saying. “There is no greater honor.” He and Ricky Skaggs played “When […]
Patsy Cline HoF Exhibit Opens Next Month; Kenny Chesney Added to Farm Aid Lineup; New Mavericks Album Slated for 9/25 Release
New exhibit Patsy Cline: Crazy for Loving You will open at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum on August 24. The opening weekend festivities will include a panel discussion with Cline’s husband and daughter as well as Harold Bradley, Jan Howard and George Hamilton IV. The exhibit will run through June 10, 2013. […]
Music Exec Donna Hilley Passes Away; Trisha Yearwood’s Cooking Show Renewed for Second Season; Tift Merritt Signs with Yep Roc
Retired music executive Donna Hilley passed away yesterday: Ms. Hilley, born in Birmingham, Ala., worked at Nashville radio station WKDA and at a public relations firm before joining music publisher Tree in 1973. She became Tree’s vice president and chief operating officer in 1978 and arranged Tree’s sale to CBA (which later became Sony Music […]
CMT Music Awards Winners; Free Tift Merritt Download; Ernest Tubb Record Shops Celebrate 65th Anniversary
Thompson Square, Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley, Luke Bryan, Miranda Lambert, Jason Aldean, Scotty McCreery, and Lady Antebellum took home buckles at last night’s CMT Music Awards. Country California posted videos of the evening’s best performances by the Zac Brown Band, Pistol Annies, and a few others. Tift Merritt is offering a free download of an […]
Gene Watson Celebrates 50 Years of Country Music; The Jayhawks Announce Tour Dates; Carl Jackson Honored with Historical Marker
Sarah Jarosz, Joshua Britt (Farewell Drifters), Tom Russell, and more offer up their thoughts on Bob Dylan to kick off American Songwriter’s “30 Days of Dylan.” The Jayhawks announced new tour dates: they’ll start in Colorado at the end of this month. Guitarist Lincoln Meyers has left bluegrass band Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen. Tift […]
Ode to analog “Mixtape,” a handclap heavy groove with loving depictions of hand drawn covers and references to Mazzy Star serves as the perfect introduction to Tift Merritt’s newest release See You on the Moon: the whole project feels like, to borrow Merritt’s own lyrics, an “audio love letter” to times gone by. No longer […]
Remember that tour The 9513 sponsored last year that featured the stories and songs of Drew Kennedy and Rodney Hayden? New American Voices, it was called. It was such a positive experience that we’ve all decided to do it again, and this time Drew and Rodney are taking their music to mostly new areas further […]
Hall Honorees Comment On Induction; Josh Thompson’s Polarizing Reception; Sarah Buxton Performs New Album Acoustically
The Tennessean‘s Peter Cooper provided brief background info for each of the four new Country Hall of Fame inductees along with quotes from all but Don Williams, who chose not to be interviewed. Brad Paisley hurled a couple of good-natured jabs at the audience during a recent concert: During the testosterone-fest, ‘I’m Still a Guy,’ […]
Watch the new video from Larry Gatlin and the Gatlin Brothers, “Johnny Cash Is Dead And His House Burned Down.” New releases for the week of June 23, 2009 include: Charlie Rich – Once a Drifter (Reissue) Amazon Charlie Robison – Beautiful Day Amazon | Lone Star Music David Frizzell & Shelly West – The […]
Chet Flippo recapped Alan Jackson‘s free 20th anniversary concert at Cadillac Ranch on Wednesday night. He also recapped Jackson’s career in his latest Nashville Skyline column. Gretchen Wilson played a handful of new songs during her opening set at CMA Music Fest and told the audience that she expects a late summer release for her […]
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...
- Jim Z: Dirty River Boys are from El Paso, Texas.