Perhaps some of you are thankful for your friendly neighborhood sex worker this Thanksgiving. Or you just want to hear some songs about them. The five ladies of the night mentioned below could give Julia Roberts’ Pretty Woman a run for her money. 5. Statler Brothers – “Bed of Rose’s” Rose, a madam who is shunned […]
One Out of Every Five Albums Sold Belong to Taylor Swift; Jason Aldean Leads Releases; Charlie Louvin Benefit DVD Seeks Backers
Taylor Swift‘s Speak Now is a lock to sell more than a million copies in its first week, and HITS Daily Double is reporting that 17-18% of all album sales belonged to Swift, which would be a new record. (via Music Mix) To help offset Charlie Louvin‘s medical bills, the folks at Judd Films have […]
At last night’s annual International Bluegrass Music Awards, Dailey & Vincent triumphed — again, maintaining their hold on the entertainer of the year and top vocal group categories for the third year in a row. The duo also notched wins for album of the year for their tribute project Dailey & Vincent Sing the Statler […]
Nominees for the 21st annual International Bluegrass Music Awards were announced this morning and once again, Dailey & Vincent top the list with 10 nominations. Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out follow with six nods and right on their heels are Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper, Sam Bush, and The Grascals with five apiece. The full […]
There was a ton of country music released in February, a great deal of which never found its way onto the pages of The 9513. Here are abbreviated album reviews of last month’s under-the-radar music. Lightning From The North – .357 String Band The third release from this scrappy Milwaukee quartet is bursting at the […]
Last.fm Top Artists While Josh Turner has normally averaged around 13 listeners per week, the release of a new album shot him up to #4 on the list this week, with 23 listeners. It’s a decent showing but not spectacular, which is pretty much in line with how the album reviews have been. Once again, […]
Eli Young Band joined the Republic Nashville roster. Miranda Lambert‘s Third Annual “Cause for Paws” benefit will be held May 15 in Tyler, Texas. Tour News: Trace Adkins and Toby Keith will hit the road for their American Ride tour on June 19; Miranda Lambert is taking her first official headlining tour, Roadside Bars And […]
To celebrate 50 years of making music, Kenny Rogers will be the honoree of a star-studded TV special. The event will be filmed on April 10 and already has commitments from Dolly Parton, Alison Krauss, Lionel Richie, and Wynonna Judd. The folks over at Lost Highway Music are streaming the title track to Johnny Cash‘s […]
Jeff Bridges, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Ryan Bingham and T Bone Burnett earned Oscar nominations for their work on Crazy Heart. The soundtrack is currently available for download at $5.00 with the deluxe edition marked up a few dollars at $7.99. New releases for the week of February 2, 2009 include: Béla Fleck – Throw Down Your […]
Fox Searchlight decided against submitting the original compositions for the film Crazy Heart into consideration for an Academy Award after learning that the score would have been ineligible. Academy regulations forbid works by multiple composers, which means Stephen Bruton won’t be earning a posthumous Oscar. On the other hand, Ryan Bingham still has a shot […]
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …
- Jeremy Dylan: I did a podcast on Joni Mitchell's BLUE album recently and was wondering if there was a good bio of …
- Leeann Ward: Well, that was a mighty unnecessarily flippant comment I just made there and the better angels of my nature make …
- Leeann Ward: As for me, I'd realize I'd written a crappy song if Luke Bryan ended up being the one who wanted …
- luckyoldsun: You say Marx is very gracious--again implying that he should feel aggrieved. Well, apparently, he DOESN'T feel aggrieved--He feels gratitude …