Glen Campbell Moved Into Care Facility; Willie Nelson Earns Black Belt; New Study Examines Country Music and Socioeconomic Escapism
Glen Campbell has been moved into an Alzheimer’s care facility. People.com premiered the music video for Easton Corbin’s “Clockwork.” Another new music video: Lorraine Jordan & Carolina Road’s version of Merle Haggard’s “Living with the Shades Pulled Down.” Willie Nelson is cooler than you: the living legend will receive his fifth degree black belt in Gong […]
Download a Chatham County Line sampler on NoiseTrade. Here’s “Should Have Known” from the quartet’s upcoming album, Tightrope. On April 26, Nancy Jones, George’s widow, will plant two dogwood trees at the Possum’s Woodlawn Cemetery gravesite. The event is open to the public. Dom Flemons will release a solo album called Prospect Hill on July 22. (via press […]
Linda Ronstadt revealed in an AARP.org interview that she has Parkinson’s Disease and that it has robbed her of her ability to sing. The terrible Rim Fire near Yosemite has forced the cancellation of the long-running Strawberry Music Festival. (warning: autoplay) Trisha Yearwood confirmed in a television interview that she and Garth Brooks are working […]
Friends and family remembered Kitty Wells at her funeral. Old albums are outselling new albums for the first time since Nielsen Soundscan started tracking US album sales in ’91. Bobby Braddock, Vince Gill, and the late Roger Miller are among those who will receive special awards this fall at the 6th Annual ACM Honors. Kellie […]
Little Big Town announced the CMT Music Award nominations on NBC’s Today this morning. Carrie Underwood leads the pack with five nominations. Check out all the nominees here. Bobby Osborne and the Rocky Top X-Press have released a brand new single called “I’m Going Back to the Mountain.” On Saturday night, Keith Urban was formally […]
Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver Honored By Tennessee State Senate; Dixie Chicks Working on New Album; Free Mix From Blue Ridge Outdoors
For fans of Irish music, Compass Records is offering 25% off their Celtic CDs and DVDs until March 17. Martie Maguire says the Dixie Chicks are working on a new album: [t]he Austin-based fiddler and singer confirmed few details, but did allow that the group has co-written “about 40” new songs that they’re currently choosing […]
Gospel/country hybrid album Take The High Road doesn’t waste any time cutting to the chase. The sheer joy and enthusiasm that permeates every nook and cranny of The Blind Boys of Alabama’s new album launches full-throttle in its opening seconds, seamlessly combining a breathless, preaching testimony, crisply powerful harmonies and an instrumental backing that could […]
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …