So far, 2011 has been a rough one for family bands. Within a week of each other, bluegrass acts Cherryholmes and The Peasall Sisters announced they were splitting up. While the loss of two talented groups is hard to bear, those splits can lead to something good. Consider the case of Larkin Poe, formerly two-thirds […]
Partial List of CMA Awards Nominees Announced Today; Coming Soon: Rounder Records & Trace Adkins Retrospectives
A portion of the final nominees for the CMA Awards were announced today, with plans to announce the rest tomorrow. Miranda Lambert and her songs got nominated two times in three different categories, Lady Antebellum received four nods, while Easton Corbin and the Zac Brown Band each pulled in three. Capitol Nashville plans to release […]
There were quite a few worthy albums that only got a passing mention on The 9513 in 2009, so if you’re looking for something new or didn’t catch them the first time around, here are a few worth visiting. The algorithm is top secret and arbitrarily derived, so if you don’t agree with any of […]
Willie Nelson collaborated with T Bone Burnett on a forthcoming album of vintage country songs that date back as far as the ’20s, and as reported by The Boot, he’s completed three others: one with James Stroud, one with Leon Russell, and another with Wynton Marsalis that serves as a tribute to Ray Charles. Townes […]
Rodney Crowell, Raul Malo, and Buddy Miller are among the newly elected board members for the Americana Music Association. If Drew Kennedy were to shoot a video for one of the songs on his new album, which one should it be? Vote on his website. Despite a lack of fingers, which were burned after falling […]
Garth Brooks Tickets Sold Out; Little Doug Sahm’s First Single; Country Music Displacing Rock n’ Roll
Sell Outs: The first 20 shows of Garth Brooks‘ gig at the Wynn Las Vegas resort sold out in less than five hours and four of Taylor Swift‘s 2010 tour dates sold out in two minutes on Friday. Next month marks 10 years since the passing of Doug Sahm. The folks at Texas Music Matters […]
Ruby Wright, the daughter of Johnny Wright and Kitty Wells, was found dead in her apartment on Sunday. The cause of death was presumably heart problems. Ms. Wright’s best known single was her 1964 “answer” to Roger Miller’s “Dang Me.” Her version was called “Dern Ya,” and it was featured in the Country Music Hall […]
Rumors of an affair between LeAnn Rimes and her Lifetime movie co-star Eddie Cibrian continue to burn, and now Us Weekly reports that Cibrian’s wife, Brandi Glanville, has left him. “LeAnn is a stalker,” Glanville told Us last month. “She refuses to leave us alone. It is shameful and scary. People are going to say […]
Patty Loveless will build on her critically-acclaimed album Mountain Soul with a sequel, Mountain Soul II, due out on September 29 through Saguaro Road Records. When bad songs go badder: Jason Aldean – “She’s Country (Club Mix)” (via reader email) Country California’s C.M. Wilcox isn’t kidding when he says David Allan Coe is a scary […]
Carrie Underwood doesn’t yet have a title for her next album, but it will be released on November 3 with the first single expected late summer. New releases for the week of July 7, 2009 include: The Lovell Sisters – Time To Grow Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Kris Kristofferson (Reissues) Who’s to Bless and […]
- Leeann Ward: I'm not an ETC fan, but I do love "Brotherly Love" with Keith Whitley.
- luckyoldsun: It's got to be "What I'd Say." (I think that's the title.) There was some question, I believe, over whether …
- Paul W Dennis: probably "Nobody Falls Like A Fool" or "Silent Treatment"
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Where in heck's name is "That Was A Close One"?!?!? It's the guy's best song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrR_2rXiKA0
- Cody: Love seeing ETC getting some credit! My five, in no particular order at first; Crowd Around the Corner Home So Fine I Have …
- Juli Thanki: I think it's technically a Keith Whitley song, but I've always been fond of his duet with ETC, "Brotherly Love."
- luckyoldsun: Lots of very good artists have not had anywhere near the radio play and hits that Lee Ann Womack has …
- Hard Times: Just read Jewly Hight's feature on Womack. I couldn't believe Womack has had only a half dozen or so Top …
- Barry Mazor: Leeann, Im not surprised about your sister's response--or that, for many, Garth Brooks now equals the ancient days of country …
- nm: I think that anyone who likes country music or Nashville and visits Nashville for those reasons is pretty quickly made …