This week in the Wall Street Journal, journalist Barry Mazor looked at the role family plays in Roseanne Cash and Ricky Scaggs’s new releases. Mazor talked with Skaggs, who released Solo: Songs My Dad Loved earlier this fall, and Cash, whose album The List came out in October, about what these projects meant to each […]
Last.fm Top Artists If anything cam be taken from this week’s charts, it’s that The 9513 fans are not beholden to pop culture and the media to dictate their listening habits. Either that, or no one’s gotten the memo that Taylor and Carrie are the biggest things in country music right now. Probably the former, […]
Despite the endlessly repeated backstory, Rosanne Cash’s new album has little to do with her father and his influence on her tastes and career, at least not beyond suggesting the tracklist. Rather, The List plays like a tribute to the durability of country songwriting and its impact over the decades. Despite the genre’s lowly reputation […]
When Rosanne Cash turned eighteen, her father gave her a list of what he considered the 100 essential country songs. By way of an eleventh studio album, she recorded a dozen of them with a loose, jazzy backing band and an array of guests including Jeff Tweedy, Elvis Costello, and Bruce Springsteen. Without that backstory, […]
In October, Rosanne Cash will be releasing The List, her first record since 2006’s Black Cadillac. It’s also her first covers album, featuring tracks by Hank Williams, Harlan Howard, and other canonical country songwriters. The songs themselves come from a list of 100 essential country songs that Johnny Cash gave to his daughter—then primarily a […]
- Paul W Dennis: Tom T & Dixie Hall are good people and I wish them all the best through this difficult time
- Paul W Dennis: Actually , it is not. We have so thoroughly debased our language that it is no longer possible to praise …
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …