Lester Armistead of The Tennessee Mafia Jug Band passed away last Friday. Jamey Johnson is a free agent: he’s no longer signed to Mercury Records. There’s currently no news on what his next music move might be. Bryan White announced on his Facebook page that his Kickstarter-backed album, Shine, will be released on May 27. […]
Banjo Summit Plans East Coast Tour; Swift, Clark Release Videos; Head for the Hills Debuts Blue Ruin
Toby Keith’s Oklahoma Twister Relief benefit concert has already generated at least $1 million thanks to a donation from the Walmart Foundation, which is also sponsoring Saturday’s show. Coming to the East Coast this October: “The Banjo Summit,” featuring Bela Fleck, Tony Trischka, Bill Keith, Richie Stearns, Eric Weissberg, and Noam Pikelny, with special guest Abigail Washburn. […]
The Academy of Country Music Awards were held last night. Here are some of the winners (you can find a detailed list of nominees and winners here): Video of the Year: Little Big Town – “Tornado” Vocal Event of the Year: Jason Aldean with Luke Bryan and Eric Church – “The Only Way I Know” […]
Library of Congress Reveals National Recording Preservation Plan; Music City Roots Adds Affiliates; Free Vandaveer, Milk Carton Kids Downloads
Doyle Lawson wants to be your valentine. Here he is playing “Love Me Tender” with his band, Quicksilver. Jamey Johnson did a lengthy and revealing Rolling Stone interview. An excerpt: “I wish I could tell you that I am writing. I’m not. I wish I could tell you I’m gonna go home next week and record […]
Little Jimmy Dickens Turns 92; iTunes Offers Nashville Indie Spotlight Sampler; Zac Brown Band, Aldean Among World Music Awards Nominees
Little Jimmy Dickens turns 92 today. The Tennessean posted a career-spanning gallery of Dickens photos. Read this fine Jewly Hight interview with Connie Smith and Marty Stuart. Adam Gold of Rolling Stone interviewed T-Bone Burnett. Here’s an excerpt where Burnett talks about Nashville: The reason this show is important to me is that music is […]
Charlie Daniels to Sing Monday Night Football Intro; New Wanda Jackson Video; Troubadour, TX Returns
Rock out to some new Wanda Jackson. Jewly Hight wrote a cover story on Jason Isbell for the Nashville Scene. Hight also recapped the Americana Awards for American Songwriter. If you missed said awards, you can listen to the archived webcast. Brian T. Atkinson of the Austin American-Statesman interviewed singer-songwriter Caroline Herring about her new […]
Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Founder Passes Away; Brad Paisley Teams Up with John Fogerty; Free Music from Hayes Carll
Warren Hellman, philanthropist and founder of Hardly Strictly Bluegrass, passed away last night at the age of 77 due to complications from leukemia. Taylor Swift and Scotty McCreery were two of the artists who got spoofed in this SNL sketch. News has come out that soulful Etta James is in terminally ill in the last […]
Songwriters: Leslie Harter, Michael Harter and Rachel Williams Brothers and sisters, unite! That seems to be the current rallying cry in Nashville, as a flurry of sibling-only trios make a go at the popular boy/girl/boy harmonies of country music’s reigning super-group Lady Antebellum. The Band Perry kicked off the trend, and even chose a song […]
- luckyoldsun: Someone should do a feature on the current "next generation" sons-of-superstar country artists--Hank III, Shooter Jennings, Bobby Bare Jr., Dean …
- Jack: Not impressed by Justin Townes Earle's low view of country music.
- nm: Does anyone know whatever became of the album that Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer were going to do together?
- luckyoldsun: I'm not surprised. Artists who can't get seem to get a satisfactory deal with a commercial label always say how …
- Jack Williams: I'm a little surprised to hear of Shelby Lynne signing with another label, even if it is Rounder. She …
- A.B.: THREE new albums from Sturgill next year?! I'm excited for that!
- Keith Samuels: I can't wait to listen to the entire recording. What a treasure.
- numberonecountryfan: She did say the version of “How Do I Live” is the “country” version which was previously released to radio …
- bll: I'm happy for any new music from Trisha. I hope MCA doesn't decide to repackage her old stuff and release …
- Barry Mazor: I know for a fact that most of the album was recorded fresh and new with Garth Fundis some months …