John Rich and his wife are expecting their first baby. Brad Paisley signed on to create and co-produce a new drama on the CW Network about “an aspiring young female singer destined for stardom and a male songwriter whose career isn’t as certain.” The Austin Chronicle‘s Jim Caligiuri reviewed recent albums from Guy Clark and […]
The Berklee College of Music presented Emmylou Harris with an honorary doctor of music. New releases for the week of October 6, 2009 include: Conway Twitty – 12 Number One Hits Amazon | Varese Vintage Records David Frizzell – The Very Best of David Frizzell Amazon | Varese Vintage Records Josh Grider – Sweet Road […]
Even on an off week, George Strait is going to be at or near the top of these charts. On a week where he’s releasing a new album, forget about it. The only question is just how many listeners is he going to be ahead of the closest competition for the Top Artist chart. In […]
The Americana Music Association announced the nominees for its 8th Honors and Awards ceremony yesterday. The ceremony will be held September 17 at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, TN during the Americana Festival and Conference and will be hosted by Jim Lauderdale, featuring a band led by Buddy Miller and additional, yet-to-be-named performers. The AMA […]
The “Legends & Lyrics” public television series is taping two shows per day for the next several days at the Grand Masonic Lodge in Nashville. Among the singer-songwriters performing are Guy Clark, Dwight Yoakam, Darryl Worley and Billy Joe Shaver. The tapings are open to the public at no charge if you print out an […]
Carrie Underwood scored wins in the “Favorite Female Singer” and “Favorite Country Song” (for the song “Last Name”) categories at the People’s Choice Awards last night, and Rascal Flatts took home the trophy for “Favorite Group.” Asleep at the Wheel published the track list and personnel credits for their upcoming album with Willie Nelson, Willie […]
A Tennessee judge ordered all future documents relating to a paternity case against the estate of Eddy Arnold to be sealed. A California man, Christopher Edward Tanner, claimed that Arnold fathered him during an affair with his mother, who was a secretary at Arnold’s record label. The judge asserted that Arnold deserves to have his […]
Keith Urban‘s tour kicks off in May and he’s announced 58 dateless stops so far. (via ggcolumn) Texas Music Matters describes The Gourds‘ music as a “bawdry brand of Texas bluegrass” and Austin Music Source calls it “recombinant rocky-tonk jam-folk.” If that piques your interest, listen to a live recording of “Hey Thurman,” a song […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...