Kathy Mattea Signs with Sugar Hill; Herby Wallace Passes Away; ACM Awards Will Celebrate 50th Anniversary at Cowboys Stadium
Kathy Mattea has signed with Sugar Hill Records. Album Calling Me Home will be released later this year. Irish folk musician Barney McKenna of Dubliners passed away on Thursday. Pedal steel player Herby Wallace also passed away. He toured with Donna Fargo, Nat Stuckey, and Jody Miller, to name a few, and recorded with Alabama [...]
Tom Roady Passes Away; Police Searching for Mindy McCready and Son; CMA Songwriters Series Goes Overseas
Percussionist Tom Roady, who appeared on recordings by Emmylou Harris, Tom T. Hall, Brooks & Dunn, Wilson Pickett, and many more, passed away on Sunday from a heart attack. He was 62. Charlie Douglas, a member of the Country Music Disc Jockey Hall of Fame, passed away last Thursday at the age of 78. Actor [...]
The tenth time’s the charm for Eric and Leigh Gibson. The brothers–and their talented band–keep outdoing themselves with each successive record. Their latest, Help My Brother, features the best harmonies in the business (sorry, Dailey and Vincent), and they’ve never sounded better together than they do on these dozen tracks. Some of the brothers’ finest [...]
Kenny Rogers, Ryan Bingham, The Greencards, Buddy Miller, Caitlin Rose and more have all recorded their own songs about wells of the wishing and non-wishing varieties, but here are my five favorites. 5. “The Well” – Rose’s Pawn Shop Drowning in a well of sorrow sounds doesn’t sound like much fun, but if this rowdy [...]
Whatever job you have, chances are you suffer from the occasional bad day. Seamen, working girls, bartenders…it seems just about every occupation has a song about the blues that come along with the job (you can find those blues, by the way, recorded by Ernest Tubb, Hazel Dickens, and George Jones. But you probably already [...]
It’s that time of year again, folks: the World Series is right around the corner. Maybe you’re a diehard baseball fan, maybe you cheer for anyone but the Yankees, maybe you don’t care at all. Whatever your thoughts on America’s game, check out these baseball songs. Honorable Mentions: Punch Brothers – “Take Me Out to [...]
Iron & Diamonds was one of 2008′s best bluegrass albums, charting in the Top 5 on several year-end lists. Barely a year later, upstate New Yorkers Eric and Leigh Gibson are back with Ring the Bell. Combining the high lonesome sounds of Bill and Charlie Monroe with the sweet harmonies of Phil and Don Everly, [...]
- Rick: Rest in peace Chet. His columns were about the only thing I ever bothered to read at CMT.com and I'm ...
- Arlene: I also didn't always agree with everything Chet Flippo wrote, but I enjoyed disagreeing with him, if that makes any ...
- Luckyoldsun: I'm sorry ol' Slim passed, but he's one of those people who when you hear they died, you feel kind ...
- bruce: Although I do not know the exact number of Slim Whitman album sales, I think it might surprise some if ...
- Leeann Ward: Thanks to it being linked here in the original post, I paid the pretty penny for the Kasey Chambers, Papa ...
- Luckyoldsun: "Any ideas on who could play Possum?" Well, even if Nancy is controlling it, I think the movie will have to ...
- TX Music Jim: RIP Chet you have all of my respect ! Sad :(
- Sloane Spencer: Thank you so much for the inclusion of our conversation w/ Kevin Russell AKA Shinyribs. I've been wanting to talk with ...
- Leeann Ward: I didn't always agree with Flippo, but there's no doubt that music journalism has suffered a big loss today. As far ...
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Chet Flippo has passed away. http://www.musicrow.com/2013/06/respected-journalist-chet-flippo-passes/