Blaine Larsen is the first artist signed to new label Treehouse Records. David Brown profiled Hayes Carll for Texas Music Matters and introduced the acclaimed songwriter before a performance at Austin City Limits’ ‘Studio 6B,’ which is available for download. Head over to Country California for another chance to score a free copy of The […]
In our continuing efforts to highlight what we consider to be good music and give a little insight into our tastes and possibly introduce you to something new and keep things fresh and…we’re starting a new monthly feature. The premise is simple: if each of us only had enough funds in our budget to purchase […]
Dave Alvin and the Guilty Women (consisting of Christy McWilson, Cindy Cashdollar, Nina Gerber, Laurie Lewis, Amy Farris, Sarah Brown and Lisa Pankratz) will kick off their tour on June 18 in Santa Cruz, CA in support of their new self-titled album. Lynyrd Skynyrd bassist Donald “Ean” Evans passed away at the age of 48 […]
The video for Kenny Chesney‘s song “Out Last Night” debuted on MySpace today. Proceed with caution, you’ll never get the next three minutes and 16 seconds of your life back. Farce the Music sold out to make a serious recommendation for Do Wrong Right by The Devil Makes Three (MySpace). That’s the second strong endorsement […]
Karlie Justus reviewed a recent George Jones concert where he had a few slip-ups, but still conveyed heartache through is performance. Brian T. Atkinson has a brief interview with Sugarland’s Kristian Bush for Austin360. My Kind of Country reviewed Vern Gosdin‘s 1989 album Alone, which isn’t formally available but can be picked up on the […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."