The nominees for the 2014 Americana Honors & Awards were named yesterday (check our Facebook page later today for Barry Mazor’s exclusive photos from yesterday’s announcement shindig): Album of the Year: Sarah Jarosz – Build Me Up from Bones, Robert Ellis – The Lights from the Chemical Plant, Rosanne Cash – The River and the […]
Willie Nelson, AKUS Announce Co-Headlining Tour; Montreal Gets Country Radio Station; New Music Videos
Willie Nelson and Alison Krauss & Union Station featuring Jerry Douglas announced that they will co-headline a tour together beginning May 1 in Murray, Kentucky. Kacey Musgraves, Jason Isbell, and The Devil Makes Three will join the tour for select dates. Garth Brooks graciously sent off Jay Leno on The Tonight Show with “The Dance” […]
St. Paul & The Broken Bones to Release Full-Length Debut in February; CMHOF to Salute Mac Gayden; Dolly Covers Bon Jovi
Garth Brooks’ final Vegas show will be broadcast on CBS November 29; Grady Smith of Entertainment Weekly wonders if Brooks is plotting a country music comeback. Dolly Parton on her next release, Blue Smoke: “This tends to have more of the bluegrass-country flavor,” the 67-year-old singer-songwriter-actress said. “We used all the bluegrass instruments. One of […]
Dolly Parton was involved in a car accident yesterday and sustained “minor injuries.” An official release date for her next album, Blue Smoke, hasn’t been announced yet, but we’ll keep you posted. On The Queen Latifah Show yesterday, Parton performed a song from her upcoming Lifetime Christmas movie. The 2013 CMA Broadcast Awards winners were […]
Vote on Vanguard’s Record Store Day Releases; Alan Jackson Tops Bluegrass Charts; Travelin’ McCourys Announce Midwest Tour Dates
You can vote on the albums Vanguard Records will reissue for next year’s Record Store Day. Your options include releases by Doc Watson, Ramblin’ Jack Elliott, Odetta, and many others. This month’s free Blue Ridge Outdoors Trail Mix includes The Devil Makes Three, Brian Wright, Elephant Revival, and many more. Check out this Kacey Musgraves/2Pac […]
George Strait Inks New MCA Deal; Initial IBMA Awards Performers & Presenters Announced; Stream The Coal Men’s New Album
George Strait was celebrated at a private event at Nashville’s Schermerhorn Symphony Center last night. Strait recently inked a deal to record five more albums for his longtime label MCA. The Gibson Brothers, Del McCoury Band, and Rhonda Vincent & The Rage are among the acts confirmed as performers at this year’s IBMA Awards. The […]
Randy Travis Suffers Stroke, Undergoes Surgery; JD McPherson Plays Mountain Stage; New Tony Joe White Album Due in Sept.
Randy Travis’ health issues continue. The New York Times reports that Travis suffered a stroke (a “complication of his congestive heart failure”) and underwent surgery to relieve pressure in his brain. Allen Toussaint was one of the recipients of the National Medal of Arts last night in DC. Know “Deportee (Plane Wreck at Los Gatos)”? […]
Keith Urban to Host “All for the Hall” Benefit Show in April; Pickathon Lineup Announced; Son Volt Announces Tour Dates
Blues guitarist Magic Slim passed away yesterday at the age of 75. YouTube video views will be added to the formula that ranks Billboard’s Hot 100 chart. Singer-songwriter Anne McCue wrote a pretty funny blog calling for a ban of assault guitars: A citizens’ action group called E.A.R.P.L.U.G.S. has started a petition to ban assault guitars […]
Neil Young and Crazy Horse premiered six new songs at their recent Albuquerque show. On October 16, Big Machine will release a Christmas compilation album that will benefit the Special Olympics. Check out “How Do You Ruin Me,” a new song from Americana group Black Prairie. Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson have a new video for […]
Friends and family remembered Kitty Wells at her funeral. Old albums are outselling new albums for the first time since Nielsen Soundscan started tracking US album sales in ’91. Bobby Braddock, Vince Gill, and the late Roger Miller are among those who will receive special awards this fall at the 6th Annual ACM Honors. Kellie […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...