Garth Brooks, Reba McEntire, Kathy Mattea, and Radney Foster were a few of the artists who helped celebrate Bob Kingsley and his 40 years in country radio. The University of Chicago Press is offering Bob Reisman’s I Feel So Good: The Life and Times of Big Bill Broonzy as a free e-book. The New York […]
Brad Paisley Gives Google Talk; Stream Brian Wright, Shelby Lynne Songs; Wide Open Bluegrass Schedule Announced
Brad Paisley recently participated in the Talks at Google series. Listen to his 30-minute session here. Remember the time Johnny Cash played a murderer on Columbo? Check out Shelby Lynne’s “Brother, Where Are You” from the benefit compilation Pennies from Heaven. The Blue Ridge Outdoors September Trail Mix (download it for free here) includes songs […]
Omnivore to Reissue Two Townes Van Zandt Albums; Alice Gerrard Launches Kickstarter; SiriusXM to Broadcast Dwight Yoakam’s Ryman Show
Alice Gerrard launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund an album release. On May 21, Omnivore Recordings will reissue Townes Van Zandt albums The Late Great Townes Van Zandt and High, Low and In Between on CD and vinyl. Noah Berlatsky of The Atlantic on The Band Perry’s Pioneer: Calling it background music is almost an […]
HoF Unveils Minnie Pearl Exhibit; Free Time Jumpers Download; Stream Radney Foster’s Del Rio, TX Revisited
Today, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will unveil Minnie Pearl: Centennial Celebration, a spotlight exhibit that will run through August 2013. New York City is the capital of country music in spite of the fact that it hasn’t had a country station in over fifteen years, writes Jim Farber in this New […]
Levon Helm passed away yesterday afternoon, surrounded by loved ones. If you missed Barry Mazor’s comment yesterday: And a report out of Meridian MS, is that Chris Ethridge of the Flying Burrito Brothers (and many country sessions) is also near death, according to Booker T. Jones, who spoke with him. Hard day. I’d met Chris in […]
The Space Shuttle Discovery has been acquired by the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum and is arriving in the DC area on Tuesday. In honor of its arrival, here are five songs about spacecraft. 5. Billy Bragg & Wilco – “My Flying Saucer” This is a cut from Mermaid Avenue, Vol. 2, which found Bragg […]
Jennifer Nettles got married last Saturday to boyfriend Justin Miller. Producer and Columbia Records A&R rep Don DeVito passed away on Friday at the age of 72. He was instrumental in the careers of Bob Dylan, The Byrds, and more. Songwriter Virginia Mae Stauffer passed away earlier this month. Did a group called The Speek […]
People Magazine has a brand new country music edition on newsstands featuring Lady Antebellum. To celebrate the new edition, they’re giving away a free download featuring some big hitters including: Ronnie Dunn, Vince Gill, Billy Currington, Jake Owen, Terri Clark, Matraca Berg, JT Hodges, Bradley Gaskin, and Sonia Leigh. Drew Kennedy has a cool and […]
It’s February and reminders of Valentine’s Day are everywhere. Sure, having that special someone is nice, but when times get bad, the only one who will always stand by you is your dog. So we’re going to pay tribute to them this month. There was quite a library of songs to choose from, so we […]
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …
- Barry Mazor: Well, gee, Taste of Country that sure clears that up. The argument's over--and it only took 200 words. …