Grammy Nominees Named; Ray Price in Final Stages of Cancer; Bluegrass Underground Announces Fourth Season Lineup
The country/bluegrass/Americana/folk Grammy nominees are: Best Country Solo Performance “I Drive Your Truck” — Lee Brice “I Want Crazy” — Hunter Hayes “Mama’s Broken Heart” — Miranda Lambert “Wagon Wheel” — Darius Rucker “Mine Would Be You” — Blake Shelton Best Country Duo/Group Performance “From This Valley” — The Civil Wars “Don’t Rush” — Kelly […]
Nominations for the fan-voted 2013 CMT Awards were announced yesterday. Jason Aldean, Kenny Chesney, Rascal Flatts, and Florida Georgia Line received three nominations each, while Hunter Hayes, Kacey Musgraves and, uh, Journey are among those nominated for two awards. Read the full list of nominations and cast your votes here. The Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver […]
Canada’s 2013 Juno Awards Ceremony was held over the weekend. k.d. lang was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame and several country/Americana/roots bands took home trophies: International Album of the Year – Mumford & Sons, Babel Artist of the Year – Leonard Cohen Country Album of the Year – Johnny Reid, Fire It Up Aboriginal Album of the […]
Stream Kelly Willis & Bruce Robison’s Cheater’s Game; New Lori McKenna Record Due in April; Album Releases
On March 2, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will “present a special panel discussion, Forever with Us: The 50th Anniversary of a Country Music Tragedy, in memory of Country Music Hall of Fame member Patsy Cline, Cowboy Copas, Hawkshaw Hawkins and Randy Hughes, whose lives were lost in a plane crash a half century […]
IBMA Award Winners Announced; Reba Won’t Return to Host 2013 ACM Awards; Mumford and Sons on Pace for 2012′s Biggest Debut Week
The IBMA Awards were held yesterday. Congratulations to the winners: Bluegrass Hall of Fame Inductees: Doyle Lawson, Ralph Rinzler Distinguished Achievement Award Recipients: Byron Berline, Joe & Lil Cornett, Orin Friesen, Pee Wee Lambert, Kitsy Kuykendall Entertainer of the Year: The Gibson Brothers Vocal Group of the Year: Blue Highway Instrumental Group of the Year: […]
With roots in rural Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Kentucky and a sound built around acoustic string instruments, bluegrass and old-time share many of the same genes. Much like homo erectus evolving into homo sapien, the banjo grew a resonator and fingerpicks, but the musical DNA of the two styles remains largely similar. As its […]
The IBMA nominations were recently announced, which means that in just a few short weeks, bluegrass artists and fans from all over the world will descend upon Nashville like the swallows returning to Capistrano. Anyway, in honor of the IBMA Awards (to be held September 29), we’ve got a Big Mon-sized giveaway: one lucky winner […]
IBMA Awards Nominees Announced; Opry to Host George Jones Birthday Celebration; Brad Paisley and Ronnie Wood Rock Out
The Boxcarsare the band to beat at the IBMA Awards, earning nine nominations last night. George Shuffler and Del McCoury were also announced as the newest Bluegrass Hall of Fame inductees. The full list of nominees is here. Have no fear if you haven’t heard some of those albums and songs up for awards: tomorrow […]
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …
- Barry Mazor: Well, gee, Taste of Country that sure clears that up. The argument's over--and it only took 200 words. …