The cliché about musical sons of the Deep South (believed in most fervently of all by some sons of the place themselves) is that the true Southern Man, a child of nature with peat moss and mustard greens between his toes, does not and will not discombobulate himself with such encumbrances as complicated philosophical thought […]
Another sign the country music apocalypse is descending upon us all: Aerosmith has been named as one of the 40 most influential acts that shaped the lives of today’s biggest country stars. Linda Martell, the first African-American woman to perform on the Grand Ole Opry stage, will have her 1970 vinyl album, Color Me Country, […]
Bluegrass Broadcaster Ray Davis Retires After 65-Year Career; Alan Jackson to Play MerleFest 2014; Album Releases
Chris Young will appear on The Ellen DeGeneres Show October 2 to sing “Aw Naw.” (via press release) Here’s a fine piece on Bob McDill that J. Clayton L. Jones wrote for American Songwriter. You, Person of Superlative Musical Tastes, probably have no need to find a place to start with Merle Haggard. But if […]
Summer’s almost over, but that doesn’t mean you can’t add to your list of beach reads. We recommend Counting Down Bob Dylan, a new book written by Jim Beviglia (American Songwriter) that examines 100 songs penned by one of American music’s most influential songwriters. Jim was kind enough to send over a couple excerpts from the […]
Bobby Bland passed away in Memphis yesterday at the age of 83. In The New York Times obituary, Bill Friskics-Warren writes, “Exhibiting a delicacy of phrasing and command of dynamics akin to those of the most urbane pop and jazz crooners, his intimate pleading left its mark on everyone from the soul singers Otis Redding […]
Bob Dylan was born Robert Allen Zimmerman on this date in 1941. Narrowing down the thousands of Dylan covers that have been recorded over the past fifty years down to just five songs for this week’s post was no easy task. In fact, this easily could have been a Friday 500–and your favorite probably still […]
Music City Roots to Help Kick Off MerleFest; Lone Star Music Awards Nominees Announced; New Kathleen Edwards Video
On April 24, Pokey LaFarge, Della Mae, The Waybacks, Peter Rowan, and Jim Avett will play Music City Roots at Nashville’s Loveless Café to help kick off MerleFest, which begins in North Carolina the next day. The 2013 Lone Star Music Awards nominees have been announced. Voting will begin on March 1 (you’ll be able […]
We did a Springsteen Friday Five on The 9513 three years ago, but there are so many good covers that it’s time for a second volume. Bonus Track: Trisha Yearwood — “Sad Eyes” Okay, this one made the last Springsteen Friday Five, but it’s so good I’ve got to post it again. Double Bonus […]
In October, Eric Church will record back-to-back shows in Chattanooga with plans to release a live album in 2013. Emmylou Harris and Mumford and Sons will tape an episode of CMT Crossroads that’s slated to air September 20. Performing Songwriter posted excerpts of a 1995 interview with Hal David. Emily Robison and her boyfriend welcomed […]
“Love for Levon” Benefit Concert Planned; Loretta Lynn Works on New Music; The Real Cost of Free Downloads
Singer-songwriter Heather Roberts is missing. She was last seen in the Dallas area. Loretta Lynn talks about the new music she’s been working on: Well, I’ve got 60-something things cut already. I’ve got a Christmas album, two religious albums. I’m gonna put ‘em out and get ‘em on the radio. Coming to the East […]
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."
- luckyoldsun: And I hear that Pretty Boy Floyd wasn't exactly the gentleman eulogized by Woody Guthrie (and that he didn't set …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Jeremy, I wish you the very best of luck with the release. Your moderator pick is a fine one.
- Jeremy Dylan: That FTM playlist is a grand way to spend an afternoon. SHAMELESS PLUG Btw, any Engine145 readers in Nashville on Monday night, …
- David Cantwell: Amen, Brother Barry.