Another sign the country music apocalypse is descending upon us all: Aerosmith has been named as one of the 40 most influential acts that shaped the lives of today’s biggest country stars. Linda Martell, the first African-American woman to perform on the Grand Ole Opry stage, will have her 1970 vinyl album, Color Me Country, […]
Bluegrass Broadcaster Ray Davis Retires After 65-Year Career; Alan Jackson to Play MerleFest 2014; Album Releases
Chris Young will appear on The Ellen DeGeneres Show October 2 to sing “Aw Naw.” (via press release) Here’s a fine piece on Bob McDill that J. Clayton L. Jones wrote for American Songwriter. You, Person of Superlative Musical Tastes, probably have no need to find a place to start with Merle Haggard. But if […]
Summer’s almost over, but that doesn’t mean you can’t add to your list of beach reads. We recommend Counting Down Bob Dylan, a new book written by Jim Beviglia (American Songwriter) that examines 100 songs penned by one of American music’s most influential songwriters. Jim was kind enough to send over a couple excerpts from the […]
Bobby Bland passed away in Memphis yesterday at the age of 83. In The New York Times obituary, Bill Friskics-Warren writes, “Exhibiting a delicacy of phrasing and command of dynamics akin to those of the most urbane pop and jazz crooners, his intimate pleading left its mark on everyone from the soul singers Otis Redding […]
Bob Dylan was born Robert Allen Zimmerman on this date in 1941. Narrowing down the thousands of Dylan covers that have been recorded over the past fifty years down to just five songs for this week’s post was no easy task. In fact, this easily could have been a Friday 500–and your favorite probably still […]
Music City Roots to Help Kick Off MerleFest; Lone Star Music Awards Nominees Announced; New Kathleen Edwards Video
On April 24, Pokey LaFarge, Della Mae, The Waybacks, Peter Rowan, and Jim Avett will play Music City Roots at Nashville’s Loveless Café to help kick off MerleFest, which begins in North Carolina the next day. The 2013 Lone Star Music Awards nominees have been announced. Voting will begin on March 1 (you’ll be able […]
We did a Springsteen Friday Five on The 9513 three years ago, but there are so many good covers that it’s time for a second volume. Bonus Track: Trisha Yearwood — “Sad Eyes” Okay, this one made the last Springsteen Friday Five, but it’s so good I’ve got to post it again. Double Bonus […]
In October, Eric Church will record back-to-back shows in Chattanooga with plans to release a live album in 2013. Emmylou Harris and Mumford and Sons will tape an episode of CMT Crossroads that’s slated to air September 20. Performing Songwriter posted excerpts of a 1995 interview with Hal David. Emily Robison and her boyfriend welcomed […]
“Love for Levon” Benefit Concert Planned; Loretta Lynn Works on New Music; The Real Cost of Free Downloads
Singer-songwriter Heather Roberts is missing. She was last seen in the Dallas area. Loretta Lynn talks about the new music she’s been working on: Well, I’ve got 60-something things cut already. I’ve got a Christmas album, two religious albums. I’m gonna put ‘em out and get ‘em on the radio. Coming to the East […]
David Nail Announces Fall Tour; Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out to Perform Anthem at SEC Opener; Railroad Revival Tour Adds New Orleans Date
A mystery fan shelled out $138,000 for a date with Dolly Parton. Proceeds go to the nonprofit Dr. Robert F. Thomas Foundation. Take a sneak peek of the Patsy Cline Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum exhibit before it opens next week. David Nail announced dates for a fall club tour. Watch the teaser […]
- luckyoldsun: And sometimes she breaks into "I Fought the Law and the Law Won."
- bob: @Leeann - Don Schlitz's wife Stacy is also a good singer. At some of his shows, she'll sing a song …
- Leeann: It's hardly on topic, but Don Schlitz's wife is an actual lawyer.
- Erik North: I like that list of country songs that Laura Cantrell drew up for people who are suspicious of the genre. …
- Leeann: Thank you for linking to my discussion. To clarify, they're not so much my favorite Dad songs, but rather, songs …
- Jack: "I got turned off a not so new guy’s music after he started recording songs like “Get Drunk and Be …
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …