New Videos from Bettye LaVette and Corb Lund; Green Onions Gets Remastered for 50th Anniversary; Free American Songwriter Sampler
JD McPherson’s newest album, Signs & Signifiers, is available for $2.99 on Amazon this week. Highly recommended for anyone who loves old school rock ‘n’ roll. Glen Campbell played what sounds like a great show at the Hollywood Bowl last weekend. He was joined by artists like Kris Kristofferson, Jackson Browne, and Lucinda Williams. A […]
National Folk Festival Taking a Hiatus This Year; Martina McBride Joins New Reality Show; Album Releases
The National Folk Festival is taking a hiatus in 2012. Rounder Records has signed The Time Jumpers. Their first studio album and Rounder debut is expected out on September 11. (via press release) Nate Chinen on the upcoming Newport Folk Festival: I’m returning to the Newport Folk Festival myself next month, and can’t help thinking about […]
Reba Concert Special to Premiere on GAC; Stringdusters New Album Due in March; The Dos and Don’ts of Covering Dylan
Reba’s filmed a concert special called All the Woman I Am that is scheduled to premiere on GAC March 17. Noel Murray of the A.V. Club takes a look at the recent compilation Chimes of Freedom and delivers dos and don’ts of covering Bob Dylan. An excerpt: Maybe this is Rick Rubin and Johnny Cash’s […]
Blues guitarist and singer Hubert Sumlin passed away yesterday. Here is a piece on Sumlin that Barry Mazor wrote for No Depression in 2005. Taylor Swift is the cover girl of Billboard Magazine after they’ve named her Woman of the Year. After winning his first case against Curb allowing him to pursue a music deal […]
Alison Krauss Schedules New Album; ‘Garden & Gun’ Covers Bluegrass; Lost Highway Celebrates 10 Years
On April 12, Alison Krauss will release a new album with Union Station titled Paper Airplane. Zac Brown isn’t sure why music has to be categorized: “I don’t know why everybody wants to put everything in a box. It’s almost like profiling.” If you want to define the Zac Brown Band musically, you’d be better […]
The Americana Music Association announced the top 100 Americana albums of 2010, the results of which is based on airplay. Various Artists, Crazy Heart Original Motion Picture Soundtrack / New West Rosanne Cash, The List / Manhattan John Hiatt, The Open Road / New West Carolina Chocolate Drops, Genuine Negro Jig / Nonesuch Ray Wylie […]
Caring about country music enough to devote years of attention to the questions its continuing, always-evolving existence raises—what it is, where it’s come from, where it gets on and off, how it speaks to those it speaks to, how all of that (or any of that) matters—that sort of serious devotion, the sort where you […]
Winners at last night’s Americana Honors & Awards show were: Album of the Year: The List – Rosanne Cash Artist of the Year: Ryan Bingham Duo/Group of the Year: The Avett Brothers Instrumentalist of the Year: Buddy Miller New & Emerging Artist: Hayes Carll Song of the Year: “The Weary Kind (Theme From Crazy Heart)” […]
Kix Brooks Schedules New Tour; Turkey Hunting with James McMurtry; ‘Nashville Scene’ Covers Americana
Brooks & Dunn haven’t yet wrapped up their final tour together (their last gig is tonight), but that hasn’t stopped Kix Brooks from lining up tour dates for next year. It’ll be a different kind of tour though. Instead of performing, Brooks will take his nationally syndicated American Country Countdown to various radio affiliates across […]
Three years ago, Hank Cochran was chosen as the inaugural guest for the Country Music Hall of Fame’s “Poets and Prophets” series, a program designed to highlight the careers of the genre’s best writers. Leading up to that guest spot, Cochran appeared on WSM with Eddie Stubbs to tell the stories behind some of his […]
- Leeann: I was disappointed to read JTE's take on country music too. I agree with the part about current country music, …
- luckyoldsun: Someone should do a feature on the current "next generation" sons-of-superstar country artists--Hank III, Shooter Jennings, Bobby Bare Jr., Dean …
- Jack: Not impressed by Justin Townes Earle's low view of country music.
- nm: Does anyone know whatever became of the album that Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer were going to do together?
- luckyoldsun: I'm not surprised. Artists who can't get seem to get a satisfactory deal with a commercial label always say how …
- Jack Williams: I'm a little surprised to hear of Shelby Lynne signing with another label, even if it is Rounder. She …
- A.B.: THREE new albums from Sturgill next year?! I'm excited for that!
- Keith Samuels: I can't wait to listen to the entire recording. What a treasure.
- numberonecountryfan: She did say the version of “How Do I Live” is the “country” version which was previously released to radio …
- bll: I'm happy for any new music from Trisha. I hope MCA doesn't decide to repackage her old stuff and release …