ACM New Artist of the Year Semifinalists Announced; Chris Eldridge Scores Silent Film; Stream Bluesman Leo Welch’s Debut Album
The Academy of Country Music named eight semifinalists for their New Artist of the Year Award: Lee Brice, Brett Eldredge, Tyler Farr, Justin Moore, Kip Moore, Kacey Musgraves, Thomas Rhett, and Parmalee. The 2014 ACM Awards will be broadcast on CBS April 6. Punch Brother Chris Eldridge will provide the score for 1917 silent film […]
The Everly Brothers’ Phil Everly passed away at the age of 74 from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. The former Grand Ole Opry member was an inductee of both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (class of 1986) and the Country Music Hall of Fame (class of 2001). Read obituaries from The New York Times, The Tennessean, Rolling […]
Grady Smith of Entertainment Weekly put together a video detailing Why Country Music Was Awful in 2013. Says Smith, “I was inspired to make this supercut after posting my 10 Best Country Albums of 2013 list for EW. A few commenters told me that my choices weren’t mainstream enough, and I thought, “Well, yeah, because […]
Trisha, Martina Cancel SeaWorld Performances; Steve Earle to Host Songwriting Camp; New Music Videos
Yesterday afternoon, Ray Price’s son, Cliff, posted to Facebook that his father had passed. However, Ray’s wife, Janie, refuted that statement, posting that while her husband was faltering, he was still alive. The Texas Music Scene with Ray Benson did a nice little video profile of Price. John Mellencamp has written 85 songs to choose from for his next project and […]
Grammy Nominees Named; Ray Price in Final Stages of Cancer; Bluegrass Underground Announces Fourth Season Lineup
The country/bluegrass/Americana/folk Grammy nominees are: Best Country Solo Performance “I Drive Your Truck” — Lee Brice “I Want Crazy” — Hunter Hayes “Mama’s Broken Heart” — Miranda Lambert “Wagon Wheel” — Darius Rucker “Mine Would Be You” — Blake Shelton Best Country Duo/Group Performance “From This Valley” — The Civil Wars “Don’t Rush” — Kelly […]
Rolling Stone is going to launch a million-dollar country music website in the second quarter of 2014; there will be a country-themed issue of the print magazine to coincide with the site launch. Preview Americana gospel group The Sacred Shakers’ live album, which will be officially released on January 21. Peter Cooper wrote about Buck Owens […]
Clear Channel and CMT have formed an unholy alliance signed a deal to “create central country-music programming to be distributed across 125 Clear Channel country stations, as well as television and digital platforms, such as Clear Channel’s iHeartRadio.” An interesting factoid from the Wall Street Journal article on this deal: “Country fans have become particularly […]
Bobby Osborne to Celebrate 50 Years as Opry Member; Zac Brown Band to Release The Grohl Sessions; New Music Videos
Dave Grohl has produced a brand new EP for the Zac Brown Band; The Grohl Sessions, Vol. 1 will be released on December 10. Garth Brooks had a triumphant return to television on Friday night with Garth Brooks: Live from Las Vegas. 8.7 million viewers watched the two-hour special, which won its time slot. Eric […]
Four hours and 40 songs of music by country music’s biggest and brightest stars honored George Jones at Bridgestone Arena on Friday night. Saving Country Music live-blogged the event if you’d like to relive the evening, and Twang Nation has some videos if you weren’t lucky enough to be in the audience. Jerald Wayne Mills, 44, of […]
Loretta Lynn Receives Medal of Freedom; Dave Adkins, Edgar Loudermilk Join Forces; Sturgill Simpson Sampler Available for Download
Loretta Lynn was honored with the Presidential Medal of Freedom at the White House yesterday. Watch the video here. There’s a four-song Sturgill Simpson sampler available for download on NoiseTrade. Scott H. Biram’s next album, Nothin’ But Blood, will be released February 4 on Bloodshot Records. Listen to Biram’s new single, “When I Die.” Dave […]
- luckyoldsun: Dwight's had so many great songs. From memory, I'd have to name "Bakersfield" with Buck Owens, "Guitars, Cadillacs," "Nothing" and …
- Scooter: Thanks Jonathon. Downloaded "Last Chance for a thousand years" and love it. Was unaware of that album.
- Donald: The correct answer is of course, "Bury Me."
- Leeann Ward: As far as I know, I have all of Dwight's albums. It's truly impossible to choose a favorite song, but …
- Michael: I wonder if Kasey Chambers will be visiting Dr. Gwen Korovin for treatment of her vocal cords...
- Dave D.: Just about any song off of Dwight's first three albums would qualify as a favorite; forced to pick one I'd …
- Jack Williams: No. Not Owner of a Lonely Heart. I was hoping for better when I saw the article title …
- Russ Morris: My introduction to Dwight was This Time. Every song on that album is my favorite. I'm playing 3 Pears in …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Favorite Dwight Yoakam song? Too darn tough to choose! I do love his second Greatest Hits album, though, featuring his …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.